Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Mortgages

Options
  • 18-04-2007 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of ye out there are not keen on buying a house at this time.. However I've bought a lovely little house at a pretty good price.

But I'm not decided on whether I should fix the interest rate for how many years?

I'm thinking fix it for 1 year.

What do ye think? All opinions welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

unless you know someone with access to a time machine, im afraid its impossible to know whether to fix your mortgage or not... i bought my first house 18 months ago and was orignally going to go with a 1yr fixed, my broker advised me to go for 2 years because as it was my first mortgage, knowing how much it would be for at least 2 yrs would be handy. Turned out to save me a fair few bob, but either way its nice to know exactly how much ur mortgage will be a good few months in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you are willing to fix for 4-5 years there are good rates available out there.
    It is an insurance policy- that may or may not work in your favour. Time alone will tell. For peace of mind, in a rising interest rate cycle, it does make sense to fix- but how long will the cycle last before turning- and when it turns, is it likely to fall below the rate you are fixed at- once again, who knows. Do the sums- factor in at very least another 1% rate rise (they advise doing 2%)- can you afford to cover that additional cost, if not, fix.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

very sound advice there form smccarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fixed for 5 years myself a year ago.

It depends on what you want. I like knowing what I'm going to pay for x amount of time and for that, I'm willing to forgo any money I might make if interest rates dipped.

Also, I agree with smmcarick; if you have any worry about incorporating interest rate hikes into your budget, you should definitely fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

Fixing for one year is almost certainly going to see you lose money (banks typically will be better than you at predicting rates over that short a period). If you're that stretched that you're not sure whether you can cope with variable rates over one year you should reconsider purchasing at all.

Fixing for longer periods can be a very good idea (even if again you end up losing money).

• Advertisement
Advertisement