Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage terms

Options
  • 18-04-2007 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

I'm on a 35 year mortgage. Although a 30 year mortgage would only increase the monthly payments by about €50.

Is it possible to change to a 30 year?

And when can I change it, do I have to wait a certain time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could probably change it in the morning if you wanted to, although there is paperwork involved.

Are you on a fixed rate? That might complicate things, but not necessarily.

Shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Thanks Victor
    Yes I'm on a fixed rate. 5%. for one year. I thought that was a pretty normal rate..

But today I heard of someone else who bought recently and is on fixed rate of 3.75%... I didnt think they'd get a rate that low. Wonder if its a 'story'

Re terms though I'll shop around for switching terms. :) nice one

rsta wrote:
    But today I heard of someone else who bought recently and is on fixed rate of 3.75%... I didnt think they'd get a rate that low. Wonder if its a 'story'
    They may have fixed it quite some time ago. It might also be on a loan with a low value to mortgage ratio.

The problem with dumping an existing mortgage with a fixed rate is you may have to pay for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Ah that would make sense. they actually sold a property recently which was bought about 3 years ago, so that probably helped with the LTV ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Do you not usually have to pay penalties to restructure fixed rate mortgages? I know some other bank might pick up the switching tab, but if it's with the same inst. then you may need to pay a fee, if it's within the fixed period? Just working from vague memory when I was looking into getting one... so I could well be wrong.

• Advertisement

If its moving from 35 year 5% (fixed for one) to 30 year 5% (fixed for one), the bank are actually gaining, so there should be no fee for getting out of the fixed rate, because you are keeping the fixed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How is the bank gaining? The bank is losing no matter what way you look at it.

Put the extra 50 euros a month in a deposit account and pay the total into the mortgage at the end of the one-year fixed rate.

Advertisement