Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car? E Class , Jaguar XJ or Rover 75

Options
  • 18-04-2007 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Secondhand '97 - 00'ish dependant on car v's budget <€10k.

Which would would you choose if economy and engine weren't really that relevant, but reliability and enjoyability were? Any personal experiences on any of these three?

Which E Class, XJ or A6/A8 0 votes

E Class
    0% 0 votes
    Jaguar XJ
    0% 0 votes
    Audi A6/A8
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The E Class of that era was known to suffer from poor build quality and random electrical problems as Chrysler took over ownership of the company. Definately a huge range to choose from here though. Definately go for an auto with leather seats though. Manuals are generally unwanted.

Not too certain about the XJS, I heard that they were poor many years ago but it could have been pre 1997 models. The XJ8 is supposed to be the favourite here rather than the 6 cylinder versions. Again leather and auto is a must. Also have a look at servicing costs as they could be on the expensive side.

Not sure if the Rover 75 is really in the same class as the above two but they were designed by BMW and are better than any other Rover. Try and get the diesel as it uses a detuned version of the 2.0 litre found in the 3 Series. Just watch the turbo as it is prone to failure in early 75s and 3 Series diesels. Spare parts are also available despite Rover's demise. Probably the best value of the three mentioned and might be the most reliable too. Best selection and highest specification available in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A very, very moot point ...but
    as Chrysler took over ownership of the company
    is wrong :D

MB took over Chrysler and spread themselves too thin, money- and engineeringwise.

The end result is of course the same, it answers none of the questions asked, but it had to be said anyway ...

So there :D

ON TOPIC:
    Experience with neither of the cars/ models in question, but on gut feeling alone it would HAVE to be a Jag.

It is the least "pipe & slippers" of them all and has a bit of "something" going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've never been a fan of Jaguars - and less of a fan of the 75. Both are a bit pipe and slippers (as peasant so eloquently put it). So I suppose of the three you mention I'd go for the E class.

But personally, if I was in that market, I'd be looking out for a 5 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

bazz26 wrote:
    The E Class of that era was known to suffer from poor build quality and random electrical problems as Chrysler took over ownership of the company. Definately a huge range to choose from here though. Definately go for an auto with leather seats though. Manuals are generally unwanted.

Daimler bought Chrysler - and the resulting Chrysler Crossfire and 300C that you see around are based on the old SLK and the W210 (1995-2002) E-class chassis, respectively. Hence, seeing a 300C, I know it's got a 10 year old + chassis design. Not great, eh?

I had one. The 97-00 didn't have electronic or electrical problems - that started in 02. The 97-00 had rust issues. Very reliable car, hence it's usage basically everywhere as a taxi, which is the main downside: everyone on a weekend night thinks you are a taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I wouldn't buy any of the three you mentioned tbh, they're all lemons. If you want a decent car buy a five series BMW, as crosstownk said, preferably a 528 or a 530, petrol or diesel, in fact go for the diesel if you can justify it, you'll never want to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

^^ Agreed...the E39 5-Series is a far more nicer car than the others (E-class, Jag, Rover). Looking at carzone, you could get an '00 530D for 12k, not bad money for a car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,162 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Those cars are in 3 different classes, with the 75 being the smallest (size of a C-class), least executive and the XJ the biggest (size of an S-class), most executive

I'd pick the XJ. Reliability wise it is on a different planet compared with its pre '95 or so Jaguar predecessors. The XJ is the most pipe and slippers though imho :)

If you'd consider other cars, I agree with other posters here about the old 5-series, or why not, the old 7-series :D

unkel wrote:
    The XJ is the most pipe and slippers though imho :)

Well ...IMO the 75 says retired accountant (sorry to Mrs uncle :D ), the E class could be anything from taxi, to farmers' or vicars' daily transport whereas the XJ, while still pipe and slippers, at least has a whiff of country estate and you know that the tobacco in the pipe will be the good, sweet smelling Danish stuff and the slippers will be of the handcrafted Italian variety.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote:
    Well ...IMO the 75 says retired accountant (sorry to Mrs uncle :D ), the E class could be anything from taxi, to farmers' or vicars' daily transport whereas the XJ, while still pipe and slippers, at least has a whiff of country estate and you know that the tobacco in the pipe will be the good, sweet smelling Danish stuff and the slippers will be of the handcrafted Italian variety.

:D:D:D

That and the Equalizer had one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    ...The XJ8 is supposed to be the favourite here rather than the 6 cylinder versions. Again leather and auto is a must. Also have a look at servicing costs as they could be on the expensive side....

An understatement. Front discs and pads cost €1500 :eek: A very expensive car to run.

Still nice though.

• Advertisement

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭fits

lol @ peasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

redman wrote:
    Secondhand '97 - 00'ish dependant on car v's budget <€10k.

Which would would you choose if economy and engine weren't really that relevant, but reliability and enjoyability were? Any personal experiences on any of these three?

I've got a '04 Rover 75 2.0 V6 and I love it - 63,000 miles on it. It has electric mirrors, windows, sunroof, 6cd changer, a/c, all the bells and whistles etc, is very comfortable and a very smooth drive, very well appointed on the inside - it's also a very statuesque and good looking car with great lines - I have no complaints with it and I picked it up for a song at€12k - so it is a lot of car for the money that you pay - I would personally recommend it and I feel that most of the people who badmouth them have never even been in one.

As economy and engine aren't really an issue, I would actually opt for this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=665365

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

peasant wrote:
    As economy and engine aren't really an issue, I would actually opt for this one:

Now that does look nice! Had considered an A6 but that seems good value. Also had considered an S Class but too much of a barge

The maintenance costs of the XJ8 seem very high alright.

As for the 5 series, had a 523 and 530d, so been there done that and looking for something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The rover 75 is about as far from motoring "enjoyment" as you'll get. Comfortable? Yes. Reliable? Not overly. Spacious? No. Well put together? No. Involving to drive? Absolutely not.
    I've only been a passenger in an e-class and never in an x-type, but I'd go with either ahead of the Rover.
    And in case anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not badmouthing Rover, some of them are good, but I hated the 75 before I ever drove it, and since I drove it I now despise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Would you look at a Saab 95 or a Volvo S80? I'm driving an 02 S80 that I picked up for < 15K recently. There's loads of them about and almost all have leather and all the toys. You should be able to pick up a low mileage 00 or 01 for your 12k.

The 75 isn't in the same class as the E-class and the XJ (although the Merc looks like a taxi and the XJ is an old man's car). The 75 is a repmobile in the UK. They sell for Mondeo money, and to be honest I'd prefer to be in a nice Mondeo or Passat. You also have the problem that the dealer network has evaporated, so any problems out of the ordinary could be difficult to get fixed.

Gary

peasant wrote:

Nice but why limit yourself to the underpowered 6-pot? Might as well go for the 4.2 V8 and why not go quattro too?

@ OP, the S-class is a barge in your opinion, but the A8 and the XJ aren't. You didn't react to my mentioning the 7-series. All of these cars are very big. Out of interest, what makes you classify some of these as barges

TychoCaine wrote:
    a Volvo S80? I'm driving an 02 S80 that I picked up for < 15K recently. There's loads of them about and almost all have leather and all the toys. You should be able to pick up a low mileage 00 or 01 for your 12k

Yeah interesting alternative. My FIL got an immaculate '02 S80 with all the trimmings this time last year from a main dealer with warranty for €15k (cash deal). So expect to pay that for an '03 now. An '00 or '01 should be had for next to nothing now, maybe €7k and €9k respectively

Great value for money but mind, it's a Volvo, so don't expect too much if you've owned E39s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I've got a '04 Rover 75 2.0 V6 and I love it - 63,000 miles on it. It has electric mirrors, windows, sunroof, 6cd changer, a/c, all the bells and whistles etc, is very comfortable and a very smooth drive, very well appointed on the inside - it's also a very statuesque and good looking car with great lines - I have no complaints with it and I picked it up for a song at€12k - so it is a lot of car for the money that you pay - I would personally recommend it and I feel that most of the people who badmouth them have never even been in one.

Do you have a beard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have a '01 E class. its a nice car but the BMW 5 series is a better drivers car(I have had 2) The '00 Jag XJ's did very well in the JD Power survey, top 10 or maybe even top 5. The Rover, eh no thanks. Lexus 400 or 430 may be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

Biro wrote:
    I hated the 75 before I ever drove it
    Hardly a sporting chance then? :rolleyes:
    maoleary wrote:
    Do you have a beard?
    I'm <25!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I have kinda ruled out Volvo, Renault Vel Satis, Citroen, Suburu and probably the Rover at this stage.

So it's becoming E Class, XJ or A6/A8

Anyone here got an XJ?

I must be on OPs ignore list then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Audi A8 all the way. Great value now in 04's. The 4.2 petrol is sublime. You will not drive a better car.

I'd highly recommend the Audi too, I have a 01 S8 4.2 and its an incredible car, amazing performance, beautiful to drive and good an fuel too for such a big car. Even though its big, the whole body is aluminum and its actually lighter than a 5 series BMW. I have a 01 M5 too and I'd say the M5 is more of a fun car than the S8 but the S8 is beautiful on a long journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hence, seeing a 300C, I know it's got a 10 year old + chassis design. Not great, eh?

My car has 4 wheels, and a steering wheel. As far as I am aware that is a 100+ year old design. Should I be worried?

testicle wrote:
    My car has 4 wheels, and a steering wheel. As far as I am aware that is a 100+ year old design. Should I be worried?
    Has it got timber wheels and a steam engine?:)

I'm <25!

Are you implying that you are not able to grow a beard so?

junkyard wrote:
    Has it got timber wheels and a steam engine?:)

I believe it has pneumatic tyres (1846) and an internal combustion engine (1879)

You have me very worried now!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The Jag. There is something not right about th efeel of an e class. They are not tight or something like a bmw. They are very wallowy. I don't know where you got the idea of a rover 75 from.

Advertisement