Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] S.I. No. 145 of 2007 - Railway (Glounthaune to Midleton) Order 2007

Options
  • 18-04-2007 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=9002&lang=ENG&loc=849
    S.I. No. 145 of 2007 - Railway (Glounthaune to Midleton) Order 2007
    11 April 2007

The Railway Order, in respect of the Glounthane - Midleton Rail Project, is essentially the planning permission that will allow Iarnród Eireann to proceed with the land acquisition and construction of the railway and new stations along the route between Glounthane and Midleton.

The Glounthaune to Midleton Rail project involves the re-opening of the disused railway line between Glounthaune and Midleton, from the existing Cobh line at Harper's Island to the town of Carrigtwohill and on to the old station terminal north of Midleton town.

CIE applied for a Railway Order for the Glounthane - Midleton Rail Project in May 2006. This was followed with a public inquiry and the report of the Inspector to the Public Inquiry, Mr. Pat Butler, SC was published earlier this year.

Construction is expected to commence this summer and is due to be completed in 2008 with the first commuter trains expected to enter service on the line in 2009.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/9002-0.pdf
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/9002-1.pdf
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/9002-2.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

At last! Not due to open till 2009. Lets hope there are no objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

starting november and finishing december 08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The only hurdle could be the glanmire road overbridge. Since the order was signed by Cullen a while ago, theres 4 weeks legal waiting period for high court challenges. Hopefully the residents dont put in an appeal, even though I thinkthe glanmire road overbridge is a shambles of an affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

if you're talking about the bridge near Tivoli, why would that affect a railways order between Midleton and Glouthane?

The bridge is not the best in the world, but isn't dangerous, apart from drunks, speeders and tired drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Bogger77 wrote:
    if you're talking about the bridge near Tivoli, why would that affect a railways order between Midleton and Glouthane?

The bridge is not the best in the world, but isn't dangerous, apart from drunks, speeders and tired drivers.
    They're building a new bridge to replace the level crossing which is further down towards the city centre. It will be a flyover of both the Lower road and the rail line. The level crossing has to be replaced due to the increased frequency of trains. It has caused a small bit of controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

MLM wrote:
    They're building a new bridge to replace the level crossing which is further down towards the city centre. It will be a flyover of both the Lower road and the rail line. The level crossing has to be replaced due to the increased frequency of trains. It has caused a small bit of controversy.

I know that one, it's just past my house. Surely a bridge replacing a manual level crossing has to be an improvement, I'd sure hate having to wait to get in and out my home cos the 5:00pm train was late.

I guess they'll be coming out onto water street then, through the builders providers, or looping out over the Lee and back onto Lwr. Glanmire Rd.?

The second one. Its a loop onto the lee and back on. A huge bloody thing, will ruin the view of Cork as you come in from the East.

Edit: I'll dig up the plans later, I have a big exam in 3 hours so REALLY ought to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Chris - I thought IE backed down on that?

Im not sure. I heard something about it, but cant remember what the story is.

I hope they have backed down on it anyway :D

Advertisement