Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Rented accommodation

Options
  • 18-04-2007 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Basic situation is 3 people at the start of march moved into a house and signed a years lease. We want to know if we have ground to leave and expect the deposit back.

Details.

There are 2 issues which were noticed when we viewed place in mid feb and we were told all would be sorted by the time we moved in.

1)The Window in the main bathroom. It stuck about halfway open and the handle is broken. I currently have a few plastic sheets taped over it.

2)The back garden fence. It is broken in several places, so much so that i can walk into 3 neighbouring gardens no problem(And vice versa).

Now aside from that these are a few other ones which have started cropping up since.

-The window in the small bedroom will not open. Its not locked or anything.
    -The window the sitting room while it can be opened is broken and to close it properly i need to go outside to shut it.
    -The down stairs bathroom has a leak that i cannot find the source of and crops up every once in a while.
    -A plug socket in my room can't be used because its housing to the wall is broken.
    -There is an abandoned car outside the driveway which makes it arkward for people to park when visiting.

Further down the list we have stuff like.

The appliacnes with the exception of the cooker aren't great. Theres what looks like rust in the microwave and the hoover is taped up.
    The main front door is slighly warped.
    There was no lagging jacket on the boiler.

None of these are really important but it adds to the others.

Aside from all that we are paying 100 euro more in rent than the last crowd.

I asked the estate agent what do when there are issues. I was told to call them.

It was said to the estate agent when we viewed it.It was said again when we moved in and added a few other the other stuff.. I said it again and added yet more wheni talked to them last because the lease and account details still havent been returned.

We are not registered with the PTRB. I asked the estate agent and she told me that it was up to the landlord not them to sort. I left it at that in case i needed a trump card to play.

I have to say it was the leak in the bathroom yesterday which tore it for me. So consulted with my housemates and we have reached the following course of action.

Call the estate agent to remind them about the leases and add the leak to the list and remind them about the rest.

Give it 2 weeks(Start of may).

Unless everything is sorted(apart from the car...) then we give notice and prepare to move out.

In the mean time i check out our position with threshold and PTRB. I'm reasonable sure we have a case to tear up the year lease and expect our deposit back(Assuming we dont wreck the place(which we won't)). My fall back position should they try to unreasonably withhold the deposit is to tell them we can take it to the PTRB.

On a more personal note, i'm annoyed with this situation and would rather up and go at the start of june(Easier to get a house then in theory) and pay to relocat the sky and net and stuff like that then to pay over the odds for this place when nothing is being fixed.

Anyway. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Seems rational. You might also mention the Enviromental Health Officer.

Advertisement