Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer Teaching Abroad?

Options
  • 18-04-2007 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Any links here? A time of family turmoil has left me in the mood to travel, but I am a teacher and don't have the money for an expensive holiday. Would teaching in a developing country be an option? Anyone here ever done it?
    Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dr.Bunson

here's a good place to start looking

http://www.i-to-i.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 appleman_thai

I have lived in Thailand for the last 6 years.

Plenty of teaching jobs there.

Try ajarn.com - ajarn means teacher in thailand!

Its a great website and well renowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I wouldn´t go with i-to-i. It´s a money making operation and is expensive for you. Maybe if you get some ideas from it you can contact organisations directly. What type of a teacher are you? If you want to teach English there are plenty of jobs out there. www.tefl.com might give you some ideas. How long are you thinking of going away for? I think TEFL is a wonderful experience. PM me if you want to ask anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Hi yes I agree that the first link looks expensive...and I already have a T.E.F.L. Cert and don't need a second. How long would I go for? at the moment due to family a maximum without a gap of just months...my mothers health is in decline and I couldn't take off for a year continuously...however it's the domestic strife itself that has led me to feel a change is needed. I have a tefl. Cert from 1998, A degree in History and German...and the 2001 Higher Diploma in Education...well it's always been an interest to be honest..the chance to see somewhere new and interact with a different culture

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

why not go to china? plenty of paid english teaching jobs and volunteer oportunities if you know where to look. cost of living is fairly cheap too. its totally different then ireland and is definitely an experience...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

If you don´t want to go too far, why not try Eastern Europe? You´ll experience a new culture and earn enough to get by. I´m sending you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

www.volunteerabroad.ie good site, good enough prices....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Dr.Bunson wrote:
    here's a good place to start looking

http://www.i-to-i.com/

They charge crazy fees and from what I've seen it's not value for money. Heard way too many horror stories.

VSO are a good group. There's no crazy middle man fees.
    I'm looking to volunteer in Ecuador in September. I'm looking up organisations abroad and asking them directly if they need a hand. There's no point paying massive fees unless you're very nervous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Check out http://www.suas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

I lived in Mexico for a few months and most of my friends where teaching English at the local University. They had applied direct to the University, they said this was the best way to do it as organisations were too expensive. Once they had started teaching by word & mouth they got contacts for new posts in other Countries. They really enjoyed it and changed jobs every year or two. Great way to travel and see the world.

I recently applied to the VSO for work abroad myself, not teaching but other voluntary work, doubt I would have the experience needed to be accepted but decided to give it a shot anyway. They were the only organisation I could find that did not charge fees.

Hope this is of some help to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks to all who took the time to reply...will be researching my options..some useful leads here..thanks for the effort
    Alan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 deeds

Filan wrote:
    Any links here? A time of family turmoil has left me in the mood to travel, but I am a teacher and don't have the money for an expensive holiday. Would teaching in a developing country be an option? Anyone here ever done it?
    Thanks
    Alan

HI Alan

You should definitely try VSO - Voluntary Service Overseas (www.vso.ie). They offer one year placements and cover the cost of all flights, accommodation, medicine and insurance etc, plus pay you a local salary while overseas. They have development programmes in Africa and Asia mainly. Get to it!!!!

Advertisement