Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new Sony Vaio

Options
  • 17-04-2007 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

HELP!

I got my new Vaio laptop before Christmas and have hardly used it, put some photos on it and went on the internet a couple of times. The computer came with a trial version of some anti virus software but last night a friend tried to put a copy of another anti virus disk on to it and now its giving trouble, its slow, programs wont open and when they do I get an error message when trying to close them and I cant shut the computer down. Tried to use add/remove programs to get rid of anti virus things but wont do it.......HELP!

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Tell your friend to fix it or else you'll take him to the small claims court ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

very productive carbsy! :)

i dont have any input either, but this thread just caught my eye cause i bought a viao laptop on thurs and now i'm scared!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

I have a VAIO too and it came with a 90 day trial of Norton Internet Security (I think) Anyway, if your friend didn't uninstall this before installing the new AV software, then you could be having problems. Try uninstalling this software as well as the new AV and then install the new AV........

Failing this, another option is to boot off the hidden partition and do a full restore, but this will result in you losing any info you have stored on the laptop so remember to backup first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'd try the system restore tool and restore to two or three days ago or when ever the last restore point was before the problems started

it should be under system in the accessories group under your list of programs

Or go to the antivirus's website and follow the uninstall instructions. it's your own fault by the way for letting your friend at it, your friend is blameless

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i dont think anyone was genuinely meaning that the friend shouldered any blame here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Norton Antivirus is notoriously difficult to uninstall... Norton Removal Tool.

If Norton is causing the problems, this'll get rid of it.

Advertisement