Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science teacher

Options
  • 17-04-2007 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Im doing an honours degree in forensic science in the UK

Before you go CSI its a lot of biology and bio chem and analysis ! (just presented more interestingly !)

I was wondering if I did a PGCE could I teach in Ireland or would I be better doing the H.Dip at home ?

Also are 'they' looking for science teachers ? Or should I be prepared to be doing temp work and subs and stuff ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

think the closing date for applications to irish H.dip is gone for next year. not sure if this is true for science h.dips.

Don't see why you couldn't do a PGCE. You might have to do the irish education modules again for full recognition. As I understand it you can do these via distance learning and teach at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

so I could PGCE and teach at home while getting 100% irish recongition... that would be useful.. but I wonder with the EU and all why this is so. that said we have a better 2ndary education than the brits :D so I could see why more time would be needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

:L doesn't take longer to qualify here.

taking the education modules is to familarise yourself with the irish education system etc. A teacher friend of mine told me this so u may want to double check it.

Far as I know you don't need a H. Dip or PGCE to teach in an irish secondary school, just to get ceretain types of contracts.

Advertisement