Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment dilemma

Options
  • 16-04-2007 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Bit of a quandry over what to do.

Currently living in a 2 bed apartment in the IFSC, sharing with another bloke.
    Myself and my girlfriend have been planning to move in together for a while and have been looking for a 1 bedroom apartment for a while now but with no luck for our price-range.

Recently my flat mate has decided to move abroad and will be out of here by the end of the month. Myself and my girlfriend are considering staying here, taking over the lease and renting out the extra room, but if we're honest, it's not really our ideal situation. We were kind of hoping for our own space.

Sharing this apartment with a third person would seriously cut down on rent for us and it is a lovely apartment.

Any advice? How willing would people be to share with a couple? Anyone here have experience from either side - as a couple sharing with a stranger or as a third party sharing with a couple?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

We shared a 3-bed with 2 others: one of them a friend of mine and the other a stranger. As a couple we do like the peace and quiet of an apartment for ourselves and so, after this year's lease is up, we're getting on our own place.

I don't think we were bad to live with but we did find conflict between wanting to use the place as a couple and the other tenant's desire to have their friends over. It's not ideal for real comfort - manageable but I wouldn't recommend it for long term. And, if you can, I'd advise you to get someone you know to rent with as strangers are always a bit more of a gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Was in a similar situation myself 4 years ago. But we decided to move out into a small one bed apartment instead. Very glad we did... all part of the fun when you're setting up the place together. If she moves into your old gaff, you won't have that.

Having said that, I'm sure sharing with a couple would be ok as long as you are very very careful not to make the third individual feel awkward or treat him/her like a tenant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Was in a not dissimilar situation owning my own apartment and wanting to make use of the rent-a-room scheme. You do need your own space as a couple, and having people around, while it helps with the bills, is not an ideal situation. From personal experience I'd advise move on and find a place of your own that you do not have to share. Life is so much easier that way...... (other than paying the bills......)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

My boyfriend and I lived in shared accommodation for about a year and a half before moving into a one-bed apartment last month.
    We found it really difficult to find people who were willing to share with a couple. I think most people feel that the couple will take over the house or be too "couply" which I can understand.
    We lived in a big apartment with 3 other girls and it was fine for a while but they all went home every weekend so we had the place to ourselves a lot.
    Our reason for not getting a one-bed straight away was mainly financial. We spent a lot less on rent while sharing.
    Eventually though we just wanted our own space and we're now paying a lot more rent for it.
    I'd say if money is an issue then go for the sharing. You just need to be careful to find the right flatmate (preferably one who'll be away a lot!!). But it can work out well.
    On the other hand we have been much happier and more relaxed since we got our own place and I think it's worth the extra cash.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My husband and I lived with another guy for eight months when we first moved in together. It was absolute hell.

I hated just about every minute of it and if I could go back in time I'd change it. Not to scare you but in my experience when couples move in together there is an intitial honeymoon period and then there is an adjustment period where you learn to live together and find your compromises. Often at this point you can find yourself arguing a lot, and emotions can run kind of high. Having a third person in this mix can make it worse.

Then again I know a few couples who prefer living with other people. So perhaps it will suit you. I guess you and your girlfriend have to be honest with each other about how flewible you both are. And think about how you would react if you and your girlfriend are having an absolute stinker of an argument when the next thing your flatemate walks in with three mates for a playstation tournament?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Cheers for the replies folks. (I'm the girlfriend btw) :)

It's a pretty crap situation right now and time is most definitely not on our side. As far as the agent is aware, the apartment will be empty on the 1st of May. I gravely doubt that he won't have anyone lined up to move in on that. Realistically I'd say we have a few days to get our act together.

Financially it would be the best decision. We'd be paying ~€350 each as opposed to ~€550 each for a really nice city centre apartment. I just started in the civil service so my wages suck and even €1100 a month for a place would be a bit of a stretch stretch for me. We both have travel expenses and if we stay where Moriarty is we could possibly save for a car (which could enable us to move a bit further outside the city and hopefully get a cheaper place).

I guess the only downside is living with a stranger, and if I'm honest, I really don't want to do that. Unfortunately we don't know anyone looking for a place right now and even if we did, I'm not sure I'd be totally comfortable with that either. I always said I'd never live with a couple and I honestly wouldn't expect anyone else to. I see moving in together as a big step for a relationship and I'd rather not share that with someone else...(or subject them to it :p)

Bleurgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Devils' advocate...

The fun with living with a couple, eh? Look back far enough on this board, and you'll find someone in that situation, no doubt. It'll be you two against them in an arguement, and when you want a "nice evening" together, you'll have to have it in your room, as they may want to watch TV.

Sure, you can ask if they'll f**k off to their room/pub/cinema, but they'll be paying rent, so they won't have to put up with your sh|te, tell you where
    you can shove it, and invite a mate over to watch the match with a few beers.

And thats why you may find it hard to get one. If you know them, it'll be grand (old college mate, etc), otherwise be a bit picky.

Advertisement