Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landord - Any help really appreciated.

Options
  • 16-04-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I have quick question on the behaviour of our landlord. We have been in our current flat for 6 months and in that time have made several requests for things to be fixed. Not once has the landlord done anything regarding this.
    So we received a message that he would be around to inspect our flat in two days. Due to prior commitments, neither myself or my flate mate did much for this. The place was messy, yes, i would accept that. But was in no way really untidy. There are only two of us and apart from the floors, kitchen and peharps one of the bathrooms, the place was in general, fine. But let me just say, in some peoples eyes, they even wouldnt be considered to be that messy.
    So we received a call the evening of the inspection from the landlord. He was extremey abusive about the state of the flat. He also had let himself in that day, along with some of his workers to poke around the flat. I thought we would have to be present for any inspection. They were in my room moving stuff about.
    Now I again, have no problem saying the flat was not in tip top shape. But there was nothing at all wrong with the flat, that a couple of hours cleaning wouldn't solve. The landlord himself only mentioned the state of the floor and kitchen. He went nuts, I couldn't believe it. He told us we better keep the whole place clean, including our rooms, bathroom at all times. He also would not listen to any of the complaints we had regarding the flat and told us this had nothing to do with anything. He actually hung up on my flat mate. And suggested we may get thrown out.

Now we are paying a lot of rent for a two bedroom place, 700 a piece. The place has started to give us real problems. No damage has been done to the place. And yes, it was a bit untidy, regarding the floor, kitchen and peharps one of the bathrooms. But as long as we leave it back in good condition why does it matter ?

I have never experienced this before and would like any feedback. I thought it would be illegal for someone just to enter your flat. I woulld rather just move out and get our deposit back, as I don't like someone being so aggressive.

Please any feedback is appreaciated and thanks for reading.
    m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

If that happened to me personally, I'd probably tell him to go shove it and move out. To say that he gave you two days notice as well is unacceptable in my opinion. And also the fact that he moved stuff around in your room rather than just inspecting it?! That's just way out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mel123

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Complain to the PRTB.
    They have an arbitration service that sounds like a possible course of action in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

he has to give a weeks notice before entering,

I also am having alot of problems with a very neglible landlord who answers his phone very selectively

interesting to see how you get on, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

That's unacceptable, leave the place as soon as you can find somewhere else that is decent and in your price range. Don't bother with trying to arbitrate your way out of this, the landlord is an idiot, doesn't understand his responsibilities or entitlements and will only cause you endless grief in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭monkey24

So i returned home again to find all our lights on and our alarm off. And someone had cleaned my sink. Thats it, nothing else, just a sink. I have no idea whats going on. I am not happy so will see what he says about it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

monkey24 wrote:
    So i returned home again to find all our lights on and our alarm off. And someone had cleaned my sink. Thats it, nothing else, just a sink. I have no idea whats going on. I am not happy so will see what he says about it tomorrow.
    Report it to the Gardai, that someone, without you knowledge, entered your house, and that you are checking your items now. Also, inform the landlord that you have notified your landlord about someone getting into your apartment. Remember: whilst you pay rent, its yours, not his apartment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

the_syco wrote:
    Report it to the Gardai, that someone, without you knowledge, entered your house, and that you are checking your items now. Also, inform the landlord that you have notified your landlord about someone getting into your apartment. Remember: whilst you pay rent, its yours, not his apartment.

Your landlord is not entitled to enter your accommodation without your knowledge. Do report it to the Gardai- the alarm was set off, its entirely possible (though possibly improbable) that you have/had an intruder.......
    You do have rights which are being very conveniently ignored by your landlord.

Advertisement