Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modest mouse for a n00b

Options
  • 15-04-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

i've had a lot of modest mouse albums and eps etc on my pc for ages but never really gave them a chance. A friend just dumped them on me lol.

Got "we where dead before the ship even sank" last week and i'm absolutely loving it . One of THE albums of 2007 so far. Dashboard and fire it up being the 2 instant grabbers on it.

My question is what would modest mouse fans recommend i check out from the back catalog as theres a lot to get through .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i loved good news for people who love bad news, but I read on a few modest mouse sites that alot of fans don't consider this 'classic' modest mouse... kind of the way most 'tallica fans look at load/reload I guess

but uh.. whatever album has 'tiny cities made of ashes'.. forget the name of it, but a google would throw it up.. consistently good songs on that album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

a long drive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Mordeth wrote:

but uh.. whatever album has 'tiny cities made of ashes'.. forget the name of it, but a google would throw it up.. consistently good songs on that album

The Moon & Antarctica...

Just go back through their albums if you want to get into them, they are all excellent. Their sound on The Lonesome Crowded West was probably the best, but has changed significantly up to We were dead...

PS They have been added to the Electric Picnic lineup!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Start with Good News... It's a great album don't mind what anyone else says! Give it a spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

lordgoat wrote:
    Start with Good News... It's a great album don't mind what anyone else says! Give it a spin.

Well if "world at large"is anything to go by im on to a winner.

kinda reminds me of mercury rev in a weird way ?

and "tiny cities...." is completely different.

I'm loving it.

for the record the stuff i have is -
    build nothing out of something
    everywhere and his nasy parlour tricks
    sad sappy sucker
    baron von bull**** rides again
    The Fruit That Ate Itself
    the moon and antarctica
    we where dead.......

looks like im missing 2 albums from '96 '97?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

The albums before Good News are basically a lot less "disco" orientated and have less of a mainstream sound. After all I know plenty of 'normies' who know modest mouse purely because of Float On being played in clubs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

JoeyD wrote:
    The albums before Good News are basically a lot less "disco" orientated and have less of a mainstream sound. After all I know plenty of 'normies' who know modest mouse purely because of Float On being played in clubs.

I disagree, just because Float On was more successful you'd hardly call Good News "disco orientated". I love the fact that Good News was a change of direction. And it garned more fans which to my eyes and ears is what a good album should do. Not just satisfy your following but make more people listen to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

The Moon and Antartica is my favourite, but id reccommend giving Good News... a try if you like the new album, they are more similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Garret wrote:
    a long drive...

I Agree
    Great album

Advertisement