Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Irishmen

Options
  • 14-04-2007 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Do any of you intelligent historians out there know who present was at the setting up of the United Irishmen in Belfast in Oct 1791. As far as I know Wolfe Tone and Russell were there.Who Else ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Were Drennan, Neilson, MacCracken and Simms present perhaps? I cant say for certain off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

AFAIK those you listed were all there along with William Putnam McCabe. There were 36 in attendance at the inaugural meeting. Could be a long thread if we tried to name them all. I just needed a few names for an essay that I am nearly finished, thankfully.

You've probably seen this already if you did an internet search, its a good read and some scans of original documents to boot ;)

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/topics/1798/1798.pdf

Good luck with the essay!

Thanks for that, I had seen it. A lot of interesting stuff there. The NLI also released a CD rom back in 1998 to celebrate the 200 anniversary. Well worth a look if you get a chance.

I wasnt aware of that CD, thanks! ;). Must see if it can still be got from the NLI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I'm sure William Orr was there too. Not beside my library at present but will check it later.

Got a 2-1 for my United Irishmen essay, well chuffed !
    Thanks for your help.

Cool, glad to hear that and well done! ;) Nice to see someone keeping the topic alive and showing interest.

Advertisement