Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOTRO 10 day pass to servers went live this morning

Options
  • 14-04-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭

At 8am, those that got the 6 euro packs in gamestop or wherever can now go ingame and nosey around LOTRO for 10 days before the servers go live in europe

But one word of caution, the codemasters account creation pages are a nightmare atm, took me a long time and i mean a long time to get my account created then get the sub created using the serial key i got in the pack

Im just updating the game client now shouldnt be to much longer and hopefully ill be in game to see if its any good

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

lol, I got mine yesterday and the servers were live from then. I have to say I'm loving it at the moment. It's basically a Lord of The Rings mod for Wow with some updated features. It's pretty cool, and a lot of fun to play.

Eh, anyone else playing this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭victor8600

humanji wrote:
    Eh, anyone else playing this yet?

Yes :) I suppose others are too busy playing to post here :D

lol, can't really blame them I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

would love to give this a shot but have no serial code :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

lifetime membership is not a bad deal for £99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

They went live 1 day early, and there were people in my Kinship (guild) already at lvl 12 when the rush started the next day and people who thought they were in first were going "wtf?"

So this is my third day playing the live game (was playing beta as well)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

When will this be in the stores guys?

Actually what way does this work?
    Can i download the pre release and then when retail is released just carry on with any characters i make between now and then?

Dcully wrote:

Can i download the pre release and then when retail is released just carry on with any characters i make between now and then?
    It's being released on the 25th of this month(I think).

What I did was get the pre-order from GameStop (€5.99). In it, you get the game dvd, an early access code, and a founders code. You install the game, patch it (takes a while) and enter your early access code. When the game goes live, you've got, I think, 30 days to enter your founders member code and buy a subscription. The founders code gives you access to the cheaper deals, ie I think €5.99 per month instead of €8.99, and a lifetime membership for about €140 I think.

Thanks for that,i downloaded it last night,been playing this morning.
    I like it so far,but am getting some lag spikes on my server, Snow somtin its called :)
    Its strange as my ping is a solid 30-40 and fps on highest settings 60-100 fps.

Very nice looking game,as a wow addict im not sure yet if it will replace wow for me but i will say quite a few of my wow guildies have cancelled subs to play LOTRO.

• Advertisement

It could just be the graphics settings that's causing you problems.

I'm not surprised that so many Wow players are moving over, since it's basically the same game with added extras. Snowbourn is th eserver you're on, I think. I'm thinking it's going to be the main one for English only speakers. Most seem to immigrate onto it.

No m8 graphics are silky smooth,as i say im getting very nice framerate at max settings :)
    Seemed a lot better this afternoon with no spikes at all.
    Im on Snowbourn,i think its an English server.

Looks like ill be cancelling wow just like my guild mates have,LOTRO is amazing.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Dcully wrote:

I downloaded it overnight and its installing atm. If you go to the online store at Codemasters (www.codemasters.co.uk I think) you can get it through their online store. There a few registration steps you need to take.

Yes m8,read above,ive got it and loving it :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Seemed to have not seen those posts! I'm quite liking it so far. Its almost like a WoW clone in many ways but then I'm sure WoW nicked stuff from games that came before it too. Just looking at the maps, the scale of the game looks enormous.

I have a champion called Crowbarr and a loremaster called Fex btw, which I'm mainly playing. Spanky the Dwarf Captain I've parked for now.

Im on Snowbourn if ya wanna add me to friends :)

Yeah i agree on the wow clone to an extent.
    They have taken everything from wow and improved upon it enormously from what i can see.
    They have also made it a deeper game what with deeds and traits.
    Same can be said of the crafting.

Im incredibly impressed after my 4 or so days with it :)

what name?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

I'm on Snowbourn as well...lvl 8 dwarf champion...stoki's the name.
    and yeh it is rather beautiful....improves on every other mmo i've ever played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

WTB more feedback.

WTB more feedback.

For 5,000 G you say? :P
    Well ive been a wow player for 2 years,levelled 2 chars to 70 and 5 others in their 50s-60s.
    Ive been in love with the game since day one.
    WOW made me want to try many more MMOs ,EQ,DAOC,AO, and some that claim to be MMOs like Guild Wars.
    None of them could take me away from wow for a day nevermind any longer.

LOTRO has made me cancel my wow subs without hesitation.
    The whole experience is so much better than WOW.
    They have taken everything from wow and omproved upon them hugely.
    They have added stuff like deeds and traits which add to the customising of chars so much.
    The combat is is excellent ,really feels action packed.
    The graphics wee down on all MMOs and most games from a height,they are simply gorgeous.
    Atmosphere is great,helped no end by the great sound effects,the music,and the middle earth scenery.
    The crafting too is taken to another level,quests and instances so far are great fun and well designed.
    The Ui too is excellent.

Bearing in mind i was far from tired of wow [i was just getting into kara runs etc] i was thoroughly enjoying wow as always but once some guildies said they were cancelling because of LOTRO i simply had to get the pre launch.
    The game is basically WOW [which is why i love it so much] but is a lot deeper and has next gen graphics and sounds.
    A bonus is subs are a good bit cheaper than WOW,ive subscribed to 6 months for 51 euros.

IMO its is a lot better than wow,whether end game content is as vast as wow i dont know personally but from forums and reviews ive read end game content is meant to be impressive and vast.
    Plus they are bringing out more parts of the middle earth world bit by bit.
    Right now Erador is shipped with release and from what i see its as big as wow pre TBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Anyone know the minimum specs to run it?

I have a feeling my computer's very slightly too old.
    Feeling quite pissed off right now.

Fremen wrote:
    Anyone know the minimum specs to run it?

I have a feeling my computer's very slightly too old.
    Feeling quite pissed off right now.
    If you can run wow, you can run this, as far as I know.

I get this message when I update.

errorln2.jpg

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Bought it there an hour ago :D
    Installed it
    Then had to create a codemaster account...done
    Then had to activate account...done
    Then i get told i have the wrong version..isntead of them updating automatically..they link me to 3 sites..1 of which is fileplanet..gay..and another a german one only
    Not only that ..but the file is 850mb!!

So i decide to skip that and click "play anyways" and now its decrypting client..:eek:

Will i ever get to play this i wonder ?

Did yous have to download that big ass patch manually or is there an easier way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I retrun an hour later...bewildered..angered..and depressed :(

OK..so here goes

I thought..cause i played Guild Wars that it would be sort of similar..well...its is

However..the tutorial isnt much...and your basically on your own after 2 mins:eek:
    I mean..i got all these quests..and a map...but no map marker
    Do they want me to work it out with a pencil and ruler ? or am i blind..cause i cant find half these places :(:(

I was used to highlightin a mission on GW..then this star would pop up in the direction i was to go:rolleyes:

Also...everybody is out in the open together..hard to get a chance to kill anything..

And the chat system...jesus..ppl just waffling on..at least b4 in GW i could select which variety of chat i wanted to see - Trade/Team/Guild etc.
    But here...i cant seem to even turn the box off...just shorten it :(
    I tried typin up to ppl and askin for helpful questions..but never got a response..to the point where i dont think anyone can see what im sayin :(
    Its a HUGE learning curve..and i had to turn the game off cause my head is melting here after that hours play.

Btw..im a Elven Hunter called Seanadan or Lorien...i think

If any of yous see me,,,,pls..give a noob a hand

Btw...the UI sucks i thought..i mean..especially on items and skills.
    Too much info thrown at you
    Hopefully this will be condensed into little symbols like GW or WoW

I shall return to Middle Earth tomorrow...now i need some FPS..BF2 or Mohaa to relieve the stress and anger :D

Oh..and the most dissapointing thing.....i couldnt play as an Orc/Troll/Uruk Hai
    Ahh..just readin the manual here..for some help..and says when you hit Lvl10 you can make a monster character
    Best get to lvl10 tomorrow :D

Yeah I had to. It said the updater had cacked it and sent me to fileplanet. I ended up just googling for the file and got it from a reliable and fast site.

SeantheMan wrote:
    I retrun an hour later...bewildered..angered..and depressed :(

OK..so here goes

I thought..cause i played Guild Wars that it would be sort of similar..well...its is

However..the tutorial isnt much...and your basically on your own after 2 mins:eek:
    I mean..i got all these quests..and a map...but no map marker
    Do they want me to work it out with a pencil and ruler ? or am i blind..cause i cant find half these places :(:(

I was used to highlightin a mission on GW..then this star would pop up in the direction i was to go:rolleyes:

Also...everybody is out in the open together..hard to get a chance to kill anything..

And the chat system...jesus..ppl just waffling on..at least b4 in GW i could select which variety of chat i wanted to see - Trade/Team/Guild etc.
    But here...i cant seem to even turn the box off...just shorten it :(
    I tried typin up to ppl and askin for helpful questions..but never got a response..to the point where i dont think anyone can see what im sayin :(
    Its a HUGE learning curve..and i had to turn the game off cause my head is melting here after that hours play.

Btw..im a Elven Hunter called Seanadan or Lorien...i think

If any of yous see me,,,,pls..give a noob a hand

Btw...the UI sucks i thought..i mean..especially on items and skills.
    Too much info thrown at you
    Hopefully this will be condensed into little symbols like GW or WoW

I shall return to Middle Earth tomorrow...now i need some FPS..BF2 or Mohaa to relieve the stress and anger :D

Oh..and the most dissapointing thing.....i couldnt play as an Orc/Troll/Uruk Hai
    Ahh..just readin the manual here..for some help..and says when you hit Lvl10 you can make a monster character
    Best get to lvl10 tomorrow :D

New to the world of mmorpgs then ? It is (from what I have seen) very easy to pick up and play in comparison to nearly ever other mmorpg Ive played, guild wars not included as its more of a diet-mmorpg. In regards to not knowing where to go, read the directions in the quest window and then press 'M' to bring up the map. Its very easy to find your way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

but i almost got lvl 60 in wow! should i really quit that to play another game or jsut quit mmorpgs? dun dun dun!!shift 1

Advertisement