Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to tv? any ideas...

Options
  • 13-04-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey just starting this wondering if anyone knows of places around dublin I can get a cable to connect my laptop to tv for watchin stuff.... Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Assuming you have an S-Video out, you can get an S-Video to Scart cable.

You can get them in most decent electronics stores. Some places will try to rip you off on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

I bought this from e-bay some while back. I'm happy with it, I should have taken a longer one though... This will help you for video.

For sound a use a different cable, one that looks more or less like this one.

I see there are cables that do both sound and video, like this one. However I didn't try it so far.

If your TV doesn't have S-Video or RCA entries you will need an adapter for Scart. I got one for few euro (from a local shop) but it was sort of crappy (bad connections).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 2e.

hey duras thanks- in a bit of a coincidince i went out and bought those three things before checking for replies... But now they won't work- I have them all connected up giving me perfect sound but no picture... do i need software of some kind r whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

2e. wrote:
    hey duras thanks- in a bit of a coincidince i went out and bought those three things before checking for replies... But now they won't work- I have them all connected up giving me perfect sound but no picture... do i need software of some kind r whats the story?

Elaborate a little, did you buy an svideo connection? And does this then plug into your TV via the scart/svideo input? You will need to specify to your laptop that this is connected, the easiest way to do this is to hook it up and then start/reboot your computer, and it will automatically be recognised. Also then your TV needs to be set to the right connection, AV1, AV2 or AV3, to receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

2e. wrote:

Are you sure you've told your display driver to use the s-video out. On my dell laptop you have to go to display->settings click the advanced button. Go to the display tab and select the tv option before anything will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

what kind of laptop is it?
    there is usually a FN combination you can use to change the video output. mine here is fn+F4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

It might be worth checking if you have the correct country set for the output. I used to have to change this sometimes on my laptop. It was in the advanced properties of the graphics card. Had to change it to something like PaL /I (cant remember off the top of my head).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭fatjose101

hey i want to do the same thing, just wondering which cable is best
    to buy and if my tv does not have s-video, are those adapters any good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

aldi had a set of the all the required cables last week for 6euro . they may still have some left

Advertisement