Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 75 from Tallaght to Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 13-04-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Over the mid term break kids have been packing the bus coming home from shops and stuff for their dinners.

In 2 weeks ive seen 4 fights on this one bus..Gards on it twice..two punches to the head..two crying 14 year olds...and more.

I know the drivers cant do a huge amount but dublin bus promote a safe journey..this,is not safe.

These scumbags..both male and female picking on children and also ive seen a 28 year old reduced to tears by a group of 11 scum.

Can anything be done? maybe put a inspector on the bus at high risk times?i want to email someone at Dublin Bus and want to get the right suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I've heard a few similar stories from various people about very similar things, on different routes including bus eireann buses.
    Schools Out == more little scum on buses.
    They dont have any system in place for dealing with anti-social behaviour it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Antigone05 wrote:
    Gards on it twice..
    yes and what happened - probably nothing?
    There was a report which stated the weak state of irish democracy. Basically no transparency or checks performed to enforce rules and regulations. In this country if you cant sort it yourself, your screwed. That is why this happens and there is bad planning and bad road and voting machines and PPARS etc. I agree with you that the behaviour is disgraceful and needs to be sorted but again it fits a pattern, a pattern of neglect for people just trying to go about there daily business in safety and comfort. Everybody is powerless, the bus driver , the inspector , oh and the guards. , so who do we turn too, (maybe sinn fein will get more votes then we think!):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Some times the driver can be more 'feared' than you think.

If only they would move them special zero tolerance inspectors over from mid day Granny pass checking on the QBC's to routes where the scum is.

Hound the depot managers as they know where the trouble is, as we tell them. But they still hide behind there desk and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Most of the seventysomething bus routes have a bad reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

The 78 is alright. With only four departures a day, there's not much chance of having to suffer from too many scumbags! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quote [SickCert] :

"Hound the depot managers as they know where the trouble is, as we tell them. But they still hide behind there desk and do nothing."

[End]

True words indeed.
    However the 75 syndrome is only part of the story.
    Whilst Dublin Bus has one of the most comprehensive and legally modern sets of Transport Bye-Laws in the EU we are blighted by a total unwillingness of Management,Gardai and Judiciary to be seen as "Authoritative" in approach to the Anti-Social sociopath element.

The company are far too embededded in an airy-fairy all-inclusive "Serving ALL of the Community" PR programme to have any real sense of the damage being done to the long term viability of OUR Bus Services.

There are few Dublin Bus Staff posting on BIE that want to be ferrying around or otherwise pandering to the constantly increasing numbers of anti-social attitude laden loons as are currently presenting themselves at Stops all over the City.

Any attempt by a Driver OR Inspector to be proactive or positive in relation to maintaining an atmosphere `conducive to the maintenance of good order and discipline` will be swiftly undermined by a senior manager,either at Garage level or in Head Office.

The simple and effective approach is to ensure these Nuts do NOT get on the Bus in the first place and that THEY are made aware of this in NO uncertain terms from Day 1.

The Company and the Gardai need to have sufficient supervisory and security personnell on hand to reinforce the message that WE,The Passengers and Staff do NOT want YOUR Attitude problems thank you !

Current Dublin Bus policy revolves completely around the Driver REMAINING in the cab with the Security Screen Fully engaged.
    The Driver MUST not become involved in passenger disputes but MUST contact Control for assistance.
    This policy is not worth a twisted piece of string to the vast majority of ORDINARY passengers who are fast becoming fed up with having to share EVERY aspect of their lives with aggressive anti-social savages.

It is in my opinion the largest single threat to a viable public transport system and one which threatens the newest Luas every bit as much as the Oldest Bus route.

In London the setting up of a Transport Operational Command Unit (TOCU) with resources dedicated to Public Transport Law Enforcement has produced very strong results.

In New York it was on Public Transport that the likes of Bill BRatton and John Timoney first identified and addressed the Anti-Social elements in Full Public View.

Even the RATP in Paris utilizes very visible "Agents Surete" on its services.

However here in Friendly Dublin it`s all swept under the carpet in the hope that nobody will notice !! :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

A couple of years ago i was comin home from a long day in college and was utterly shattered, The bus stop at the radisson one kid came up and sat 2 seats in front of me, he looked quiet and a bit nerdy anyway a few seconds later 6 or 7 older schoolkids came up and there wasnt many seats left on the bus so they all pretty much were sitting around this kid. He was getting off at the stop at bakers corner and we were at the lights he went to get up and the other kids werent letting him they were probably 5th/6th year he was probably 1st/2nd anyway he was getting very upset the and pretty much crying cos they wouldnt let him off so i stood up and shouted "let him off" they looked like they were about to **** themselves!! the kid said thanks and he got off. These were "posh kids" i would have liked to give those brats a good thumping

so i stood up and shouted "let him off" they looked like they were about to **** themselves!! the kid said thanks and he got off. These were "posh kids" i would have liked to give those brats a good thumping

Good man on both counts, shouting at them and wanting to give them a bhusthen

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

I work this route regularly, The summer is an absolute nightmare, especially weekends in summer, All the scumbags grap a sixpack and head for Dun Loaghaire, I would never leave the cab area to deal with these scum as it's not worth my life, although Id love too sometimes, What can I do? Follow company policy maybe? Make an announcement on the p.a. that smoking and drinking are not allowed, then contact control if problem persists, Control ask do I want the Guards? what do I do? I cant see who is smoking? We need people to work under cover to identify the people envolved in anti social behaviour so they can point them out to the guards who can arrest them, then use the video evidence in court. Most passengers will only tell you someone is smoking upstairs when they are getting off the bus and will never wait for the guards and identify the person envolved. I was driving this bus one saturday afternoon heading towards Tallaght, Bus was packed with Scumbags, drinking, smoking, playing a fu**ing getoblaster, and smoking hash, I was like a bleedin bull, skiped the announcements and contacted Gaurds in Dundrum and told them to be ready to empty the bus for me, got everyone upstairs taken off the bus. The abuse I got was unreal, and when 3 of them spotted me at the square a week later I thaught I was done for, How the security screen didnt smash with the punches and kicks they were trowing is beyond me, there knuckles were bleeding from punching the screen, I was lucky I spotted them and was able to get back into the cab before they got on. What are we supposed to do? I think the only way is undercover Guards or Inspectors or set up a new anti social unit to deal with them?

spareman wrote:
    I think the only way is undercover Guards or Inspectors or set up a new anti social unit to deal with them?
    Cant understand why this is not done. Can you ask your union to insist on this. Therefore the unit is responsible for this and not you personally. A coupla weeks of patrols would sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

spareman wrote:
    I work this route regularly, The summer is an absolute nightmare, especially weekends in summer, All the scumbags grap a sixpack and head for Dun Loaghaire, I would never leave the cab area to deal with these scum as it's not worth my life, although Id love too sometimes, What can I do? Follow company policy maybe? Make an announcement on the p.a. that smoking and drinking are not allowed, then contact control if problem persists, Control ask do I want the Guards? what do I do? I cant see who is smoking? We need people to work under cover to identify the people envolved in anti social behaviour so they can point them out to the guards who can arrest them, then use the video evidence in court. Most passengers will only tell you someone is smoking upstairs when they are getting off the bus and will never wait for the guards and identify the person envolved. I was driving this bus one saturday afternoon heading towards Tallaght, Bus was packed with Scumbags, drinking, smoking, playing a fu**ing getoblaster, and smoking hash, I was like a bleedin bull, skiped the announcements and contacted Gaurds in Dundrum and told them to be ready to empty the bus for me, got everyone upstairs taken off the bus. The abuse I got was unreal, and when 3 of them spotted me at the square a week later I thaught I was done for, How the security screen didnt smash with the punches and kicks they were trowing is beyond me, there knuckles were bleeding from punching the screen, I was lucky I spotted them and was able to get back into the cab before they got on. What are we supposed to do? I think the only way is undercover Guards or Inspectors or set up a new anti social unit to deal with them?
    Glad that wasn't me. You did the right thing though. What annoys me the most is you have Michael Mcdowell's posters all over the city claiming there's more Gaurds than ever before. This might be true, but our police force is still underrescourced and under-equipped. A solution could be a highly publicised increased Garda prescence on public transport. The publicity alone would drive a considerable percentage of scumbags off the buses, or at least make some of them think twice. I suspect that the Gardai don't have the manpower to do something like this. Law enforcement standards have been allowed to slip over the last 30 to 40 years and a lot of idiots can get away with anything.

MLM wrote:
    Law enforcement standards have been allowed to slip over the last 30 to 40 years and a lot of idiots can get away with anything.

yes this seems to be the case
    A good example is when I was a student and we would have a party, well I would go to a friends party, I never messed me own gaff up. We'd be noisey and a bit drunk. Then the gardai would arrive and that would be it, party over. They knock on the door and say the neighbours were given out and fair enough the music would be turned down or off and we'd all go home.

Now when I ring the gardai to stop this happening since I am now one of those neighbours, they tell me there is nothing they can do, it is a civil matter, the laws were changed for them to have to do nothing to stop parties or pretty much anything.

Now what I can see is that the only practical way I can stop the parties etc is to beat the head off the person who is having them and then I am up for assault or worse I get the crap beaten outta me? Great laws? to protect and serve my ar*e.

This bus driver was in the same boat, no back up when doing the right thing and when the scumbags saw him he had to protect himself as a result.

Advertisement