Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop advice

Options
  • 13-04-2007 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ok so the screen on my laptop has stopped working (I think it's just the backlight). As I was considering buying anyway I'm looking for advice on a new laptop.
    What I'm looking for is
    Decent processor and Graphics (i.e. capable of something like Half life 2 \ Civ 4 but as good as possible for price)
    At least 1Gb ram.
    15.4" widescreen
    DVDRW
    Windows XP
    WiFi
    Card Reader
    80gig hard drive
    Price range is less than 1000.

I'd also like built in bluetooth but it's not essential.

I've done some quick looking around and found these,

link 1
    link 2
    link 3

What do people think of the prices or does anyone else have any recommendations.

Also, what do people think I could get for my old one with a wonky (but possibly fixable screen)
    It's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L1310
    Celeron M 1.6
    1Gb Ram
    WLan
    DVDRW
    ATI Raedon Xpress 200
    80GB HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

well if you'll be playing games you'll want the best graphics card you can get. I think the laptops you listed all have pretty poor graphics

heres a benchmark list, with cards devided into classes
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

off the top of my head, a laptop i can think of which might just meet your needs is the inspiron 6400 with ati x1400. might be able to find one at reduced price on the dell outlet, or ebay dell outlet factory where they sometimes sell them

Advertisement