Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fourier Series Question

Options
  • 12-04-2007 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There, Just messing about with some maths there.

I've a little problem.

Question: A function is defined by:

f(t)= 6 when 0<=t<0.5
    f(t)= -6 when 0.5<=t<1

and f(t) = f(t+1)

Find the fourier series representation of the function.

My (obviously wrong) Solution:

the T , time in this is 1, thus omega w = 2*PI

This function is an odd function seeing that f(t) = -f(-t).
    Thus Sine terms only.

So:

an.jpg

So we only got bn term:

bn.jpg

Now solving the bn, i get:

48/n if n is odd
    0 if n is even

This is the case, as you get a 1-1 of cosine terms when even thus calapsing whole thing to 0.

Now the fourier series is:

series1.jpg

Since a0,an = 0 we get:

series2.jpg

Now by plotting this answer, i get this:

graph.jpg

Don't suppose anyone know why this is the case? :)

Should go from +6 to -6, not +36 -36 what ever it is. Can't read accuretly enough

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Did you forget that the period T = 2pi when you calculated Bn? I think the answer for Bn should be 24/ (n.pi)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You're dead right - Just discovered this messing about here now.

Will T always be = 2Pi for bn?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ah, dammit...good question there, my last post is wrong. T of course equals 1 as per the period. Omega w = 2pi, however, and this will come out as a denominator in the integration of sin(n.w.t). You must have forgotten this part?

There's a few differnent forumlae for getting Bn for a Fourier series (they all work out the same way in the end), I was getting confused between them...

Funnly enough using T as 2Pi when working out the Bn, I end up with 24/n*pi.

This plots perfectly, with the amplitude as 6. This is really confusing!

Yeah, 24 / (n.pi) is the correct answer for Bn alright. But it's just a coincidence that it works out this time.

I knew what the answer should be so I could see you were out by a factor of 2pi and for some reason I thought T should be 2pi, but nope, T is always the period.

The factor of 2pi you're missing is from the integration of sin(n.w.t), when you integrate that it becomes -cos(n.w.t) / (n.w), but w = 2pi, so there you have it!

• Advertisement

Ah that makes sense now.

My lecture always said that sin(n.w.t) was -cost(n.t)/n as w is mostly always one by us.

Glad got that sorted now, plus better understanding now.

Thanks excellent stuff :)

No bother. Yeh sometimes courses will make the equations simplier by eliminating pi etc. but I think this leads to more confusion at some point down the line (like today!).

Out of curiosity, how are you plotting the series? Using MATLAB? If so have you got an m-file for that purpose?

I'm using Maple, find it very handy for checking things. Plus our course is done with maple too so we got a nice little file running for each topic with step by step.

Advertisement