Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ExposÉ: New to TV3

Options
  • 12-04-2007 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

So they have pull out all the stops to tells that a new show is coming. It is nearly like they are re-launching the channel the way they are advertising this show. (I refain from saying it is muck before I see it, however I don't think I will be proved wrong).

They have stated that it will cost them an extra 600,000 euro annually to extend their news service (and lets face it that is all they are doing).

I can only summerise that the majority of that 600,000 euro is going into big billboard advertising and that the 10 new staff they have employed are on an alright wage, well we know they aren't on 60,000 euro a year.

Elmo's anti-TV3 rant ends.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ExposE? Never heard of it!

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Here's the press release...

http://www.tv3.ie/media.php?action=news&id=109

Its not really an expansion of their news service - apparently they're axing the 18:30 news bulitten, although the listings on their website don't make this clear (and claim Expose is at 18:30 when the press release says 18:00). While two news bulittens within 1 1/2 hours was always daft, it was the price TV3 had to pay to meet their licence committement for an hour long teatime news. I don't consider an Entertainment Tonight clone a news programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

tv3 wrote:
    These stunning, talented reporters

Looks before talent, eh? Well, that makes me want to watch it...
    tv3 wrote:
    will be covering all the big home events including the top awards ceremonies, film premieres, rock and pop concerts, fashion shows and interviewing all the big Irish and international stars.

It's glamour and glitz at its best and it's the show we know viewers will have to tune into every day!!
    Sounds like something that will end up with a lot of filler, even for this kind of show. Really sounds more like something that ought to be on on a weekly basis (if at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Its not really an expansion of their news service - apparently they're axing the 18:30 news bulitten, although the listings on their website don't make this clear (and claim Expose is at 18:30 when the press release says 18:00). While two news bulittens within 1 1/2 hours was always daft, it was the price TV3 had to pay to meet their licence committement for an hour long teatime news. I don't consider an Entertainment Tonight clone a news programme.

Surely part of the remit is to provide news during primetime?

They cann't axe the 6:30 news.

What will I do? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Whatever re-alignment of the repeated evening news they are planning doesn't get away from the fact that allowing these cynical jokers to continue to benefit from a broadcasting licence is a national disgrace. They basically just broadcast repeats of imported programmes and have no programmes of their own apart from one fifteen minutes bulletin at 5.30 - repeated at 6.30 and another fifteen minutes of sport ( this is given equal status to the news ) each time.
    According to the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland's website:
    "TV3's aim is to tap the qualities of community pride, independence, creative talent, humor and determination that are a vital part of Irish society, and, in so doing, to bring to its audience a full representation of life in Ireland and of its interaction with the rest of the world."
    Laudable aim but why have they not been put off the air for not even seeking to achieve it?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Heard an ad for this on the radio today. Can't imagine too many people giving a damn about anything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Heard an ad for this on the radio today. Can't imagine too many people giving a damn about anything on it.
    Agree. It's been soooo long since I've even watched TV3. Normally I just flick past it in the guide without a second thought!

To confirm TV3 News has Axed their 6:30 news.

They announced it a number of months ago.

Is no one else suprised that a national channel cuts its news output and no one reacts?

Can you imagine if RTE cut its news output. I mean their are many people on boards that find it annoying that RTE continue to cut its news output during the summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Elmo wrote:
    Is no one else suprised that a national channel cuts its news output and no one reacts?
    Given that the press release was issued with a quote from "Director of News and Information Programming Andrew Hanlon", I don't think TV3 see this as cutting their news service, but rather supplementing it. Given the quality of their news service, they're probably right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I think it would have been better to axe the 5:30 news. At least more people are home for the 6:30 bulletin. Trying to 'stay ahead' of 6:01 on RTÉ, I suppose.

So Exposé will be another programme to be counted as home-made material. It seems TV3 will spew out anything home-made just for the sake of it.

It makes sense to produce some Irish programming, generally it adds to the viewership.

I thought it was great that TV3 where making a new show (well even if it wasn't something I wasn't going to watch, in my original post I was being sarcastic).

If TV3 had produce a new show that would "supplement" their news service that would be fine but they are replace half their main evening news with a new show.

I thought the schedule would work like so:-

5:30 News
    6:00 Expose
    6:30 News
    7:00 Emmerdale etc

This would be good for TV3 as it would bring viewers who don't necessarily watch the news into watch the News at 6:30 which would add to the audience watching the 6:30 bulletin which would mean that they could increase the viewers for Emmerdale. And it might also keep viewers who watch the 5:30 news.

However now

5:30 News
    6:00 Expose
    6:30 Hollyoaks
    7:00 Emmerdale etc.

Not only will Expose be competing with TG4, RTE 2 for "entertainment" viewers but Hollyoaks will now be up against RTE's Home And Away, which can only mean a reduction in viewers for Hollyoaks and a knock on effect for Emmerdale (as neither show are strong soap operas). And the news viewer that did watch the 6:30 news will switch over to 6:01 or even the 9 O’clock news.

Especially since we are coming up to a general election it is strange that TV3 should axe it's Main Evening news.

Also can any provide a link to a press release stating that TV3 is discontinuing its News at 6:30.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hollyoaks up against Home & Away?

Since H&A has been on RTE2 for many years now, and would presumably have a significant regular audience, I doubt Hollyoaks will have much of a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

byte wrote:
    I doubt Hollyoaks will have much of a chance.

I am sure the majority of those who watch Hollyoaks have already done so on Channel 4. What kind of ratings does it get on TV3 can anyone tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Not in the top 20, anyway. So less than 100,000 viewers on TV3.
    Home and Away was 9th in the last recorded TAM ratings, 214,000 viewers for a Friday episode on RTÉ 2.

Hollyoaks has always been up against H&A on RTÉ 2 since it started, as its been always on Channel 4 at 6:30pm.

Hollyoaks has always been up against H&A on RTÉ 2 since it started, as its been always on Channel 4 at 6:30pm.

As we know not as many people in Ireland get C4 as TV3 and just as many people get E4 which shows the next episode of Hollyoaks at 7.
    I am sure the majority of those who watch Hollyoaks have already done so on Channel 4.

Yes and that is another point TV3 are a few weeks behind C4. Very strange that they should but Hollyoaks up againist hollyoaks.

But then TV3 gets to be Soap Central.

6:30 Hollyoaks
    7:00 Emmerdale
    7:30 Coro St

Wow!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote:
    Also can any provide a link to a press release stating that TV3 is discontinuing its News at 6:30.

Not sure you will find one - no channel is going to announce it is cutting news output (excluding the five minute slots on Ireland AM, TV3 is now showing less than an hour of "hard news" a day). However if you want proof, tommorow's schedule is here:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/listing.html?channel=55&date=1

In fairness, TV3 does provide the only daily sports news programme on terrestrial TV. But I'd prefer if it kept its licence committment for a hour-long teatime bulitten of proper news.

However if you want proof

I actually rang TV3 to find out, they said it had been announced a few months ago, so I just assumed that they had a press release.

So I am looking for prove that they announced it a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Elmo wrote:
    I thought it was great that TV3 where making a new show (well even if it wasn't something I wasn't going to watch......)
    My initial thoughts exactly. When I discovered that the 6:30pm was getting axed though, my thoughts changed. Even if it was pointless, replacing it with entertainment wasn't the best move.

I've maintained in the past that the single best move TV3 could have made was to move the 6:30pm to 8:00pm. Apart from being more practical, it would also mean that viewers tuning in for Coronation Street on Monday nights (at 7:30 and 8:30) would get their news fix in the middle, not bother watching RTÉ that night and possibly watch a few other TV3 News bulletins over the week if they liked what they saw. Generally it would have strengthened the brand I would have thought.
    Elmo wrote:
    Especially since we are coming up to a general election it is strange that TV3 should axe it's Main Evening news.

I've always considered the 5:30 their main bulletin. The 6:30 bulletin, although basically a repeat of the 5:30 one, usually had one package less than the first one. I always assumed it performed better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Elmo wrote:
    As we know not as many people in Ireland get C4 as TV3 and just as many people get E4 which shows the next episode of Hollyoaks at 7.

Actually, since ALMOST as many people had UTV & BBC BEFORE Sky Digital even started, and TV3 has only 80% coverage, and part of that UHF in areas where RTE1 & RTE2 is VHF, I wouldn't be sure there is a HUGE difference in ability to watch C4.

In theory too, in the other 20% area TV3 is subscription only on Satellite, and a FTV card (Freesat from Sky) gives C4 for a once of payment if £21.50 (cards only sent to a UK address).

So not simple to analyse. C4 on deflectors / Terrestrial even in areas without TV3!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

Elmo wrote:

Adding to what Watty has said, I know several houses in Cork that can get C4 with a freesat card and can't get TV3. Up here in the north-west C4 comes in fine while you really have to work to get any sort of TV3 Signal.

Adding to what Watty has said, I know several houses in Cork that can get C4 with a freesat card and can't get TV3. Up here in the north-west C4 comes in fine while you really have to work to get any sort of TV3 Signal.

Sorry, what I said came out wrong. What I was trying to say: -

Was that just as many people receive E4 as TV3 and that the next episode of hollyoaks is on E4 at 7 so fans of the show are prob watching it on E4 rather then TV3, plus the fact that TV3 is a few weeks behind C4 and E4.

I cann't see it getting an increase in viewers up againist Home And Away.

But that is off the topic.

Now back to expose

It is getting 50,000 viewers a night.

This week TV3 announced that it was to axe “TV3 News at 6:30” in a strange decision taken by the channel, especially in the run up to a General Election.

It would seem that the media forgot that this had happened. If either RTÉ or TG4 had axed their main evening news you can be guaranteed that newspaper columns would be wall to wall with coverage. In fairness, to media outlets, the closure of Sky News Ireland was well covered, even before it was axed by Sky.

The removal of “TV3 News at 6:30” from the TV3 schedule comes with the start up of a new entertainment programme. All the stops where pulled out to announce the new show, the red carpet was rolled out in Dublin City’s Mansion House and billboards announced “The return of the queen of entertainment”. The media reported extensively that TV3 was starting a new nightly entertainment show. It was as if we had never had such a show.

I do not want to put down the new show. It is not my type of show. I do not really care who is having a scientology wedding.

Lorraine Keane is a very professional presenter, and the other ladies on the show are not constantly smiling condescendingly down the camera unlike their American counterparts. These girls are a team professional news broadcasters, unwilling to plámás American stars and socialites.

TV3 lied. How? Simply by stating that they where investing (a reported) €600,000 per year into a show, and forgetting to let us know that they where replacing their news service with cheep cable channel mimicry.

€600,000 is nothing. TV3 earn an estimated €50,000,000 in advertising revenue. In 2005 they reduced their pay packed to €6,800,000. TV3 continues to be the “soap seller” of Ireland, rather then trying to be innovative in their approach to TV production. They have provided us with a lack lustre ITV imitation, throwing at us shows previously shown on RTÉ.

TV3 could, if it wanted, continue with their news at 6:30, while also providing an extra show. I rang TV3 on the last night of the 6:30 news asking why had such a decision been made, they gave the very simple reply they where not a public service broadcaster.

This just won’t wash. TV3 is Ireland’s second most watched TV channel, TV3 is Ireland’s only national independently run television service (a National Service) and TV3 holds a licence given to it on behalf of the nation. (I am differentiating between Channel 6 as a cable channel and TV3 as a national channel.)

TV3 had a huge opportunity to provide a quality TV service with a mix of home-grown television shows and international television shows. TV3 have dealt this opportunity another huge blow by deciding that it should only produce the bare minimum of required programming. TV3 continue to whine about the uncompetitive behaviour of RTÉ and TG4, yet it refuses to accept its responsibility as a national broadcaster.

It views the production of any show outside its requirement as public service broadcasting, hence TV3 don’t invest in any programming outside of this requirement.

This year, only thanks to the BCI’s Sound and Vision fund, TV3 will produce programmes outside its “News and Information” department. TV3 will be now make programmes with the TV licence. It is time that TV3 realise that the production of Irish shows does not just equate to Public Service Broadcasting.

The problem is now left with “Xposé”. TV3 could turn around and replace it with their News service. Lorraine Keane will be faced with just a bulletin on the 6:30 news. What she needs to ask is; why can’t “Xposé” and TV3 News be produced together?

TV3’s licence will be up for renewal next year. It is time that the BCI address TV3’s remit and gets an increase in TV3’s requirement. Failing that, it’s time to provide someone else with a huge opportunity to provide another eye. Súil Eile.

With regard to your query on TV3’s change of schedule – a number of factors were considered by the Commission in respect of this change. In the first instance, the rationale for the change reflects the market -share and viewership ratings for the 6.30 pm news programme. This particular programme slot has been a poor performer over the last number of years, primarily due to the concurrent placement of the very popular RTE Six One programme, which offers news and current affairs coverage between 6 pm and 7pm nightly. Further, since TV3’s 6.30 programme was largely a repeat of their 5.30 bulletin, it was not adding to news and current affairs coverage available to viewers in this time period.

The Commission is always mindful of offering a diversity of high quality programming to viewers. In this respect, the programming in the 6pm – 7 pm slot includes Irish production, with a uniquely Irish focus on entertainment and related news, also including coverage of social and charitable events. As a result, the programme increases viewer choice during this evening period, especially for those who do not wish to watch news at this time.

The addition of this programme also resulted in the creation of a number of Irish jobs, which, along with the additional spend required by such a programme, resulted in a substantially increased investment in home-produced programming.

Finally, it is essential to note that TV3 remains in compliance with its programme policy obligations. In light of these factors, the Commission approved the change.

I hope this clarifies our rationale and position.

The rationale for the change reflects the marketshare and viewership ratings for the 6.30 pm news programme. This particular programme slot has been a poor performer over the last number of years, primarily due to the concurrent placement of the very popular RTE Six One programme, which offers news and current affairs coverage between 6 pm and 7pm nightly.

Q. Overall TV3 has a marketshare of 15% and is Irelands second most watched channel. In the early years of TV3 they made a descision to split their news in two. The 5:30 news (just before RTÉ's 6.1) and at 7 (just after RTE's 6.1). This changed in 2001 with the 45% sale of TV3 to British broadcaster ITV, and the 7 News was replace by the 6:30 news to facilitate Emmerdale and ITV's British Schedule. The rights to both Emmerdale and Coronation Street have allowed TV3 to increase their share of the market significantly. However TV3 has not moved to increased the number of Irish prime time shows available on TV3.

2. Further, since TV3’s 6.30 programme was largely a repeat of their 5.30 bulletin, it was not adding to news and current affairs coverage available to viewers in this time period.

Q. This in my opinion is really an issue for the Executives and the Producers at TV3 rather then an issue for the BCI. I will agree with both TV3 and the BCI when they state the news at 5:30 was not adding anything to Irish current affairs viewers, however it is up to TV3 to make their news service more relevant to the viewer.

Q. If this was basically a repeat of their news at 5:30 can it dent their budget to repeat their news at 6:30.
    3.The Commission is always mindful of offering a diversity of high quality programming to viewers. In this respect, the programming in the 6pm – 7 pm slot includes Irish production, with a uniquely Irish focus on entertainment and related news, also including coverage of social and charitable events. As a result, the programme increases viewer choice during this evening period, especially for those who do not wish to watch news at this time.
    Q. Both TG4 and RTE 2 provide Entertainment shows during the hours of 6pm – 6:30pm, both strands have been highly successful for TG4 and RTE.
    4.The addition of this programme also resulted in the creation of a number of Irish jobs, which, along with the additional spend required by such a programme, resulted in a substantially increased investment in home-produced programming.
    Q. Does the BCI consider the creation of 10 jobs significant? 600,000 euro per year does the BCI consider this an investment in to quality Irish TV?
    5.Finally, it is essential to note that TV3 remains in compliance with its programme policy obligations. In light of these factors, the Commission approved the change.
    Q. TV3 now provides no news service during Prime Time. TV3 now produces 30 mins of news each night.

Q. Does hollyoaks provide a real alternative?

TV3's programming change.

I acknowledge your disappointment in this regard and re-state the BCI's position as outlined in our previous correspondence.

The issues we took into consideration at the time are those which I provided detail on and have included again at the end of this mail for clarity. Beyond that, we have nothing to add at this point.

I hope this makes our position on this particular issue clear.

I have yet to reply to the last email. And I don't think it would make much of a difference if I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Well on the basis of that response from the BCI it would seem that they will almost certainly renew TV3's licence :mad:

TV3 *could* have been a geniune challenger to RTÉ, both in terms of ratings and of new, original programming. But of course we all know they chose to go down the bargain basement road, simply cloning a channel that most of the population already had access to.

If the BCI follow through with the renewal of TV3's licence then Montrose can sit easy. They will continue to be the dominant Irish broadcaster and the minnows down the road in Ballymount will continue to milk the advertising market for all its worth and to hell with creating a distinctive Irish voice on TV.

Advertisement