Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Files from Old Laptop

Options
  • 12-04-2007 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

My old laptop broke over a year ago. A power surge seems to have destroyed the battery (hard drive seemed fine as it was still booting up with some residual power at the time). I didn't get it repaired and it's hardly worth it now as it was a cheap EI systems laptop and it's nearly 4 years old.

All i want to do is save some old photo's and files that were on it and transfer them to my girlfriends laptop.
    I'm not great on the tech knowledge but with a bit of Googling I've come to the conclusion that the best way of doing this is to remove my hard drive and get an external hard drive inclosure and hook it up via USB to my girlfirends laptop.

My real question then is what type of enclosure should I buy? I see there is 2 1/2 inch or 3 1/2 inch options and price varies from 25 - 50 euro.

Am I on the right track at all?

Is there any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yes, you will be looking for a 2.5" external USB enclosure. Peats have one that doesn't require any external power source but from the USB hub. 2.5" is the size of laptop hard drives and desktop machines have 3.5" normally. Link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My real question then is what type of enclosure should I buy? I see there is 2 1/2 inch or 3 1/2 inch options and price varies from 25 - 50 euro.

Am I on the right track at all?

You certainly are. Generally speaking, the vast majority of laptops are 2.5 inch. As far as I know, the likes of Komplett have the enclosures.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Great thanks for the advice, the 2.5" Drive from Peat's for €19.99 looks like it might be exactly what I need.

Is there any way I could make a complete balls of this?
    Anything I need to be really careful with?

Advertisement