Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad lnb or dual lnb for sky difference?

Options
  • 12-04-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

I have a SkyHD and I only have a single lnb on my dish, so I need to run two more cables from the dish, so I need a new lnb.

Question is: is there any functional difference between a quad and a dual lnb, other than the amount of outputs? (I only need two) strangely enough the quads seem to be cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

mustang68 wrote:
    I have a SkyHD and I only have a single lnb on my dish, so I need to run two more cables from the dish, so I need a new lnb.

Question is: is there any functional difference between a quad and a dual lnb, other than the amount of outputs? (I only need two) strangely enough the quads seem to be cheaper.

Amount of connections only...

Different LNB come in different qualites, but the connections is the only difference between a quad and single lnb of the same model..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

Right oh, thanks very much.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm not sure if it's possible to get a dual LNB for a Sky Minidish (I presume that's what you have though I'm open to correction).

Quads on the other hand, are much more common place, and so would be cheaper. You'll use 2 outputs for your HD box, though you'll be able to add other digiboxes in other rooms using the 2 spare outputs at a later stage if you so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

byte wrote:
    I'm not sure if it's possible to get a dual LNB for a Sky Minidish (I presume that's what you have though I'm open to correction).

yep, you're right there, and I haven't seen a dual one for a sky dish, only the quad. This thread has cleared all all my questions about dual Vs. quad.

Thanks guys

Quick question,

I have purchased a quad lnb only to find that I cant fit it directly to the sky minidish, any suggestions as to where I could get a suitable clamp?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Try www.satellite.ie www.satcure.co.uk Maplin (unlikely)

I do have one I'm not currently using. But I prefer you exhaust other options first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Quick question,

I have purchased a quad lnb only to find that I cant fit it directly to the sky minidish, any suggestions as to where I could get a suitable clamp?

Thanks

Even if you could find a clamp a standard LNB will not perform correctly on a mini dish so I'm afraid your option is to either replace the dish or get a quad lnb suitable for a sky mini dish

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

For cost of clamps, think satellite.ie do quads fairly handy priced for sky dish itself.

Thanks for the info,

I bought the quad without realising that the sky dish had propiatory (non-standard) fittings :o:(

edit typo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

Just for the record, a "dual LNB" has effectively two feedhorns pointing at different satellite clusters. A dual LNB of the type controlled by DiSEqC signalling is often referred to by the (I think) French term "monobloc".

A Quad-output LNB and a twin-output LNB have 4 and 2 outputs, respectively. Twin-output LNBs are no longer manufactured for the Sky minidish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

Thanks for the info,

I bought the quad without realising that the sky dish had propiatory (non-standard) fittings :o:(

edit typo

You can get an adaptor http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=221062&doy=29m6 it will allow you to fix any LNB.

I currently have a quad fixed to mine and am running two BBC Freesat HD (two free for later expansion) using this adaptor.

Thanks, in the end I just bought another LNB, so I have a spare one just incase.

Advertisement