Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell laptop startup error

Options
  • 12-04-2007 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Dell Inspiron 6000

When I press the power button, after the DELL splash screen, a 'PBR 2...done' message appears and I can hear the hard drive doing a 'rhythmic' clicking noise. Is the HDD fecked? I tried 'get data back' program which recognises that it's a 60GB drive, but numerous errors are coming up.

Also, when I dbl click the drive in My Computer, a message comes up prompting me to format it!

Any ideas...TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

think PBR stands for primary boot record. Sounds like your harddrive is on its way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

cheers ondafly

I was chatting to dell tech support...they reckon a Data Recovery lab is the last resort.

They got to me to run a diagnostic test-> Fn button and power button->release both buttons.

Oh well...it's not my laptop but the owner won't be too happy!

Advertisement