Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any takers for conifer hedge

Options
  • 11-04-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi fellow foresters,

I have a very old hedge of about 35 lelandii or cypress trees which I want to remove and replant with beech. Does anyone know of any company that would remove them and mulch them or use them for chip or pellets? Preferably for free on the basis that they would get the lumber. Or, if I were to get a tree surgeon, would I have any market for the felled trees given the high moisture content? Also what is the going rate for selling a very large fallen ash tree? Ta.

Bradaun

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bradaun wrote:
    Hi fellow foresters,

I have a very old hedge of about 35 lelandii or cypress trees which I want to remove and replant with beech. Does anyone know of any company that would remove them and mulch them or use them for chip or pellets? Preferably for free on the basis that they would get the lumber. Or, if I were to get a tree surgeon, would I have any market for the felled trees given the high moisture content? Also what is the going rate for selling a very large fallen ash tree? Ta.

Bradaun

The value of the ash is very much dependent on the form of the timber. If its of good form (straight without a proliferation of knots or blemishes) it has potential for a number of purposes- its unusually low moisture content meaning it does not need to be seasoned in the same manner as other species. Aside from the timber- you also have the potential to use the base for hurleys- potentially even more lucrative than selling the timber (and also why quite a few farm ash trees get felled and robbed). The actual value will depend entirely on the quality of the tree and its size and form.

Vis the Leylandii- even more difficult than cutting them down is getting rid of stumps and roots. They are very soft and easily felled though- perhaps you could rent a mulching machine for Christmas trees? I don't know of anyone who would be interested in lumbar from Leyland cypress though.......

Advertisement