Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS-can't join if youve a work visa?

Options
  • 11-04-2007 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Reposting this here. Originally in the "Work" forum.

This is quite a strange one.

A friend of mine has been here over 7 years. Last time they went for a work visa it was granted for 5 years (still has a few years left on it). They recently became unemployed through no fault of their own (laid off). Anyways, off they went to the Welfare Office and was told that they were entitled to credits/PRSI. Grand.

So the Welfare Office said to go join FAS. Gets to FAS office the same day, and is told that they cannot help as it involves a work visa?

So basically you can get welfare, but cant join FAS? Isnt this a bit odd or are they right? My friend said that there was a little confusion when asking about this and that the FAS people themselves didnt seem sure about what they were saying.

Anyone know anything? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I have never come across this. It sounds like someone got their wores crossed. I would advise you to contact FAS HQ in Dublin regarding this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Just to update this, this is the reply I got when I queried them on it:

"FAS registration is only open to EU, EEA and holders of a GNIB Stamp 4 status only".

Advertisement