Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There is a light that never goes out?

Options
  • 11-04-2007 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi just a quick one.

How long can you be overdue on a ESB Bill, before you are cut off?

No plans to do it myself, but just got our bill last week and will be a day or so late with the payment, but just wondering how long anyone has gone before being left in the dark :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I thought I heard that they will never actually cut you off in case you are on a ventalor or some other medical equipment that needs power.

Could be BS though.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Thinking back to my dearly departed student days, I reckon you're safe for a couple of months at least, never mind a couple of days before you're cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Yeah, you can usually miss a bill or two (or three) before they start getting cranky. A couple of days/weeks is nothing.

If you persistently don't pay on time it might affect your credit rating, but as long as you always get the payment in before the next bill arrives you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Dalfiatach wrote:
    If you persistently don't pay on time it might affect your credit rating

True in the UK but not here, only credit agreements from banks/credit unions can affect your icb record...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Yep that is true

I got a tv/video from ESB many moons ago on HP and never paid it back

No mention of it on my credit rating with ICB

I really should pay it back though :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Being a massively essential utility, the ESB aren't overly keen to cut you off. They can also be mostly sure that they're going to get their money - when they *do* cut you off, it's not like you can make alternative arrangments for your electricity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

3 months late causes it,I may have accidentally forgotten to check my parents bills and pay them one summer.
    They are pretty quick at restoring it though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If they do cut you off- reconnection charges are currently about E80 (just checked its 78.40). When you have to pay a reconnection charge it does tend to focus the mind a little......

Advertisement