Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[req] Ambassador cinema history?

Options
  • 11-04-2007 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    In a search for where to ask for help, I've posted on here, I hope thats ok...
    I'm banging my head against a brick wall atm... I'm researching the Rotunda, the Ambassador Cinema and the Ambassador Theatre. I'm all good up until the turn of the 20th century -
    I have no idea where to look. Wiki keeps coming up on my searching on the net, and I cant use WIKI as a reference. I'm a music postgrad, not an expert in history, and I need to know when the Ambassador began to be used as a theatre, when it began to be used as a cinema and what happened after that...
    Can anyone guide me towards a book, journal, SOMETHING PLEASE?!!!
    im losing my mind and boards is my saviour...
    Please and thank you,
    Catho

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassador_Theatre_%28Dublin%29

That's all I could find atm, I don't think there is a dedicated ambassador website, or at least I couldn't find it...See wiki isn't all bad!!!

Edit: just realised you don't want to use wiki...How much information do you need? all of this could be treated as common knowledge that doesn't need to be referenced (in the same way as saying Daniel O'Connell died in 1847 doesn't need a source). Alternatively you could go to the national library or archives and start digging for info there, I dont know any specific books to look for but there is tonnes written about Dublin and its buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I'm looking for the info for an article that is to be published so I do really need a reference.
    Thanks for your help anyway!!! - 'tis appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have you contacted them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check your PMs catho_monster, I have a number of books should have the info you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The theatre was also the Post Office sorting office after the 1916 Rising due to the GPO being burned. It continued in this capacity until 1924 (I think), when the Pearse Street sorting office opened.

It was also the scene of the first strike in the Free State, and troops opened fire on the striking Postal workers wounding a number of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

The Dublin city library in Pearse Street might be able to help. They have tons of information and the staff are very helpful. Give them a ring or have a look at this link.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/libraries/heritage_and_history/dublinheritage_ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 canalia

There are three reference books recently published which will give you all the information you need on the history of the Ambassador Cinema. They are "Dublin Cinemas: A Pictorial Selection" published in 2005 by Jim Keenan, "The A-Z of All Old Dublin Cinemas" published in February 2007 by George Kearns and Patrick Maguire, and lastly "The History of Dublin Cinemas" by Marc Zimmermann, published in May 2007. Your local library should have a copy of each of them.

Advertisement