Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jazz in Newpark

• 11-04-2007 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Heya, I was just wondering if anyone here is attending or knows anything about studying Jazz in Newpark? I'm currently doing Computer Science in UCD but I'm pretty unhappy (more with UCD itself than the actual Computer Science), and I'm thinking of dropping out. I've been studying jazz guitar for a bit over two years (with a focus on improvisation) and I'm pretty interested in what Newpark has to offer. I've heard only good things about the teaching there, but I'd like to hear from some students (or past students) on what it's like studying there. Is it a close-knit community? Part of the reason I dislike UCD is because the courses are so big it can get pretty isolated. I know a few people in some of my classes, but only really on a quick nod hello basic and the friends I've made are in other courses, so it's kind of boring in lectures and classes. What's the entrance (practical) exam like? Do they just hand you a chord-chart? To what level are you expected to be proficient on your instrument? I mean, I don't expect them to take on beginners but there should be something for them left to teach you also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

Heres a thread about it that was posted before. It might answer some of your questions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054990228&referrerid=&highlight=newpark+jazz

Im doing the course now, so if you have any other questions post them and ill answer them if i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Thanks for the reply and the link, I was getting afraid that noone would answer. :o

I do have a few questions though, if you're willing to answer. :D

1. How big are the classes? I can't find where I read it but I think I saw that about 1000 students attend the college, but I don't know how that would break down into class sizes.

2. What's the typical week like? As in, is it from 9:00a.m to whenever everyday of the week or are the classes spread out over the day? How many hours a week is the course?

3. From the link you provided - how important is reading sheet music? I was grade 4 in piano when I was 10/11 and was able to read it to a mediocre level but I haven't really done any since then.

Um, that's all I can think of at the moment. My guitar teacher is pretty good friends with a lot of the teachers there and I'm assuming knows a little about the course so I'm going to ask him tomorrow.

edit: Ooh, also: do you have to learn modal style of playing? I know the major, minor and diminished scales quite well but I've never done modal and can't relate anything at all to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

1. How big are the classes? I can't find where I read it but I think I saw that about 1000 students attend the college, but I don't know how that would break down into class sizes.

The 1000 student thing is for the overall college including private lessons outside of the B.A.J.P. In the B.A.J.P. it really just depends on how many people apply. 1st year is always the busiest (roughly around 30 people) and then it changes from year to year. Some people will drop out and some new people will come in. In my current year there are only 9 people, so i dont think you need to worry about the classes being too big.

2. What's the typical week like? As in, is it from 9:00a.m to whenever everyday of the week or are the classes spread out over the day? How many hours a week is the course?

The course differs from year to year but its at least 3 day a week for every year. Youre not actually in college for as many hours as most other college courses but you still get as much work, if not more, to do. The course relys alot on how much effort you put in yourself at home. You could turn up to the classes and sit through them and probably get away with it, but if youre not practicing its eventually gonna show.

At the moment im only in 13hrs a week which might not seem like alot but believe me, its enough.

3. From the link you provided - how important is reading sheet music? I was grade 4 in piano when I was 10/11 and was able to read it to a mediocre level but I haven't really done any since then.

You dont have to be a brilliant sight reader to get into first year but i think they would be expecting you to have a basic grasp of it. Just try and brush up on it a bit before the audition as they might ask you to read something, but its not the deciding factor of if you get in or not.

4. Do you have to learn modal style of playing? I know the major, minor and diminished scales quite well but I've never done modal and can't relate anything at all to it.

As far as i know, if you have a basic knowledge of scales youll be ok. Im a drummer so i didnt get asked any scale questions at my audition, but i dont know if anyone else was asked about modal stuff. They might just ask you to play over certain changes and see what you play.

Anyway youll learn all about modal playing in 1st year and from what i can remember hardly anyone in my year had done it before that so i dont think its a necessity.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Um, no I think that's it. That's perfect, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MalGanis

Hi, sorry for reviving the thread but I have some questions, I hope someone answer them.

I am applying for the BAJP next year, I have the audition this next weekend.

Is Newpark (specifically the BAJP classes) like what "crowbar188" said in 2007? Have they changed? I have the same questions about college schedule, number of students...

Thanks. Kind regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Whats the difference between a a 12 inch pizza and a Jazz musician??? A pizza can feed a family of 4:D:D:D:D:D.

Advertisement