Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truma Water Heater trouble

Options
  • 10-04-2007 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi

Took the van on its maiden voyage over the weekend. When we were out, we discovered that the Truma water heater did not work. Any advice as to where to start looking for the problem.
    Basically, when you turn it on, you can hear a "rapid clicking" noise which I am guessing is the auto ignition system trying to fire up. After about 10 seconds the light on the on/off switch goes red which indicates a problem:(
    There is gas in the cylinder as all other gas appliances work fine (including Truma heater). The water heater is on a 01 van but I don't know if it was new when it went in (I assume it was).

Hopefully, we are not looking at getting a new water heater. If we are, anybody got a ball park price for one

The water heater is a Truma BS10

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

After a prolonged break in usage, it can take several attempts before the boiler runs without switching off immediatedly.

Just keep trying. also make sure that there is water in the boiler as well as that the designated gas valve for the boiler is set on "open".

Also see this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055069875

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

From Stapeler on a previous thread "I know it an obvious one but have you taken the Truma cover off outside. Mine won't start with it on."

What cover is he talking about..........there is a vent on the side of the van where the boiler sits but to remove this, it is a screw driver job. I reckon that if I take this off, I will have nothing at all covering the air intake

Also, my on/off switch appears to only have one LED on it (red in the middle). Do the newer ones have a green LED also or if its a case that when I get mine going, I will not have a LED showing and the Red one means that it has shut down?

Many thanks for point me in the direction of the previous thread

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've no idea what kind of cover stapeler is talking about (because I haven't seen one yet on my old yoke:D ), but I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean for you to unscrew the exhaust/air intake. There may be a little plastic cover or something as protection on differnet models.

As for the switch;
    On my yoke, the boiler switch is a red plasic switch that's either on or off, there is a dial to select the temperature and there are two little lamps. One red, one green. Green means it's working, red means it isn't.
    So, as you only have one light, you're probly right in assuming that in your case no light means it's working.

In case your boiler is working ...it'll take about 20 mins for the water to get hot and about 1 min running of the tap until the hot water actually reaches the tap.
    In other words ...it's not instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi P

Just to let you know that I got the boiler working last night.......having turned it on and off a few times without any joy, I decided to see if gas was getting to the boiler. I disconnected the gas line at the point of entry to the boiler, turned on the gas for a second (heard the hiss, got the smell) and turned it off. Then reconnected the gas line, hit the on switch and away she went first time. Whats even more impressive is that I turned it on this morning before I came to work to see if it still worked........no red lights and hot water....success:cool:
    I guess that there was a small amount of air in the gas line and that was what was holding the system from igniting :rolleyes:

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Hi,
    I mentioned a vent cover in a previous thread which is used for the water heater. The rectangular one about 6" high by 3"wide. It's not screwed on just clipped on, Mind doesn't work without it removed..

• Advertisement
Advertisement