Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rathmines Bus Route

Options
  • 08-04-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭

Someone mentioned a new Bus Route for Rathmines. I saw a brand spanking new bus stop on Leicester Avenue the other day.

I'm not sure if a bus will fit in the space. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Victor wrote:
    Someone mentioned a new Bus Route for Rathmines. I saw a brand spanking new bus stop on Leicester Avenue the other day.

I'm not sure if a bus will fit in the space. :D

This is for the new 141 service that is to operate at a strong frequency (appx. every 10-15 mins) from Swords to Rathmines. This should improve the lot of passengers travelling to the city from the lower Rathgar Road and Rathmines and alleviate the pressure on 14/15/65 route groups!

As for the space, Victor do you remember the 47 route that went along the back roads in Rathgar and Rathmines en route from the Dublin mountains to the city centre? One particular driver was known for his Fangioesque speed throughout the route, and especially between Comans and The 108 pubs in Rathgar where the road is particularly narrow. So much so one passenger once asked him where the special button was located that he pressed at that point to shrink the bus at that location. I understand that the driver in question has patented the button and it is now being issued as standard to drivers on the new route 141 so that they may use that stop. Alek Smart is offering his services to park a low floor bus there and to test the button!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KC61 wrote:
    As for the space, Victor do you remember the 47 route that went along the back roads in Rathgar and Rathmines en route from the Dublin mountains to the city centre?
    Before my time. Although I have a map with the 47/A and there is still a bus stop on Leinster Road.

I suspect the route will loop at the end: Lower Rathmines Road - Garda Station - Grosvenor Road - Kenilworth Road - Kenilworth Square East - Leicester Road - Lower Rathgar Road - Garda Station.
    One particular driver was known for his Fangioesque speed
    "Fangioesque"?
    Alek Smart is offering his services to park a low floor bus there and to test the button!!!
    He might have an issue with the non-bus friendly ramps on Rathgar Avenue.

Victor wrote:
    Before my time. Although I have a map with the 47/A and there is still a bus stop on Leinster Road.

I suspect the route will loop at the end: Lower Rathmines Road - Garda Station - Grosvenor Road - Kenilworth Road - Kenilworth Square East - Leicester Road - Lower Rathgar Road - Garda Station.

"Fangioesque"?

He might have an issue with the non-bus friendly ramps on Rathgar Avenue.

"Fangioesque" - Juan Antonio Fangio - whom many consider the greatest Formula 1 driver!!!

As for the routing - I would agree.

Oh, were the 47/As merged into the 15s?

Victor wrote:
    Oh, were the 47/As merged into the 15s?

Partly!!!

The routes were:
    47 (Hawkins Street-Tibradden via Whitechurch)
    47A (Hawkins Street-Rockbrook)
    47B (Hawkins Street-Grange Road via Whitechurch)

The section from City Centre to Whitechurch was replaced by the introduction of route 15C.

Grange Road-Whitechurch-Taylors Lane (47B) and Taylors Lane-Rockbrook/Tibradden (47/47A) was replaced by route 161 which operates from Kilmashogue Bridge to Nutgrove via Tibradden, Rockbrook, Whitechurch and Grange Road.

The Grange Road section of route 47B was covered by initially introducing route 16C as an extension of route 16 from the old terminus at the junction of Grange Road and Sarah Curran Avenue to the terminus at College Road, and later by extending all route 16 journeys to Kingston in Ballinteer.

The only section abandoned was the routing along Leinster Road, Grosvenor Place, Kenilworth Road, Kenilworth Square and Rathgar Avenue which attracted very little custom due to the comparatively low frequency of the route.

• Advertisement

Just on the history of bus routes, what path did the 16B take previously? I remember seeing the route number displayed on bus stops years ago.

The 16B was an extension of the 16 and the 16A that operated northbound only. At that particular time the routings were as follows:

Northbound
    16 - Grange Road or Nutgrove Avenue to Santry (Shanard Road).
    16A - Grange Road or Nutgrove Avenue to Omni Park.
    16B - Grange Road or Nutgrove Avenue to Airways Industrial Estate.#

Southbound
    16 - Airways Industrial Estate or Omni Park or Santry (Shanard Road) to Grange Road
    16A - Airways Industrial Estate or Omni Park or Santry (Shanard Road) to Nutgrove Avenue

The 16B ceased when the 16A was extended to serve the Airport.

Nerds!!!!!

Of course the 16C title is now used for individual services that only run to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Victor wrote:
    Of course the 16C title is now used for individual services that only run to the city.

One of the best ideas to come out of DB management in a long time and an awful lot better than the old practice of blacking out the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

So is this alleged 141 running? What is its route into and through town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

luckat wrote:
    So is this alleged 141 running?

Not yet, should be starting in the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Got this via Roisin Shorthall- (the estate mentioned is Northwood route 27b)
    They now plan to run the 27B through the estate. They expect this to happen in about six weeks to two months. They agreed with the developers of Northwood today that they (the developers) will install kerbing to accommodate low-floor buses. They also have to make adjustments to the ramps in the estate. An on-site meeting will be held with the developers again soon to finalise where exactly the stops will be provided. Incidentally, Dublin Bus claim that, given the respective bus priority on either route, 27B is actually quicker than the 4 into the City Centre.

Dublin Bus also confirmed two other improvements.

1. They intend to extend the number 4 route from end of April/early May to Blackrock and Stradbrooke
    2. They plan a new service, the 141, (every 10 minutes) from Swords Manor, serving Old Swords Road, through O'Connell Street to Rathmines and Palmerstown Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

jd wrote:
    They now plan to run the 27B through the estate. They expect this to happen in about six weeks to two months. They agreed with the developers of Northwood today that they (the developers) will install kerbing to accommodate low-floor buses. They also have to make adjustments to the ramps in the estate.

What route will this take? Ballymun road, Northwood, Swords road? Will it use Santry avenue at all?
    Incidentally, Dublin Bus claim that, given the respective bus priority on either route, 27B is actually quicker than the 4 into the City Centre.

I find that really hard to believe. The 27b winds its way through Castletimon and Beaumont hospital before getting to the Malahide road and then sits in traffic trying to get into lane to turn onto Talbot St.

markpb wrote:
    What route will this take? Ballymun road, Northwood, Swords road? Will it use Santry avenue at all?

I find that really hard to believe. The 27b winds its way through Castletimon and Beaumont hospital before getting to the Malahide road and then sits in traffic trying to get into lane to turn onto Talbot St.

I don't believe it either. May be useful for me as I work in Eastpoint, but I wouldn't take it into town.
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quote [jd[>
    "1. They intend to extend the number 4 route from end of April/early May to Blackrock and Stradbrooke
    2. They plan a new service, the 141, (every 10 minutes) from Swords Manor, serving Old Swords Road, through O'Connell Street to Rathmines and Palmerstown Park." [End]

Now let me get this clear.

Currently,as of yesterday, Dublin Bus is anticipating Serious Disruption to it`s services due to the imminent LUAS BX construction works in the O Connell St/Westmoreland St/College Green area.......Is this the case..?? :confused:

Now then,lets extrapolate so.......With this impending disruption and it appears NO imminent agreement on Bus Diversions or Priorities we have something of a stand-off (Mexican of course !)

Therefore it simply HAS to be a master stroke of Haugheyesque proportions to introduce a brand NEW high-frequency trunk Bus Route and send it directly along what is going to be THE most disputed routing in the EU (For 3 years at least).

I shall be standing at the Spire this evening handing out free biscuits as THIS caper really does take it.
    I can only hope that a Superindendent of the Gards takes an immediate interest in this little snippet of information if only to confirm Domnic Behans theory that......

"I can concieve of no human situation so terrible that would`nt immediately be worsened by the interest of a Garda"

Perhaps it`s time to pick up Roisin Shortall and grill her about her sources......for CRYIN out Loud....ANOTHER Bus Route along O Connell St !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote:

Perhaps it`s time to pick up Roisin Shortall and grill her about her sources

From Dublin Bus..
    jd

Advertisement