Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hare Krishna literature.

Options
  • 08-04-2007 4:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to be seriously into the Hare Krishna movement and its teaching and I'm just wondering where in Dublin could I possibly obtain or buy some books on the Hare Krishna movement. Since there is no Hare Krishna forums I thought I'd post here.

Thanks,

Dav.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There's that American HK guy who has been flogging HK books outside Easons on O'Connel St. and outside Georges Arcade since the mid-80's.

However! In true Eddie Hobbes style, I'd advise you to go into any Oxfam and look for a rather big paperback volume entited "The Science of Self-Realisation" by AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. Honestly, I've yet to see Oxfam, or any other charity bookshop have a couple of copies of this for less than €1 at any given time. The American HK guy will charge you at least €5.

I would warn you about approaching any member of the HK movement, or letting them approach you without doing your homework first. I'm not getting into an 'are they a cult or aren't they?' debate, but they defined they methods chuggers use at least 20 years before we even knew what a chugger was.

If you are interested in HK, they I'd also advise you to do a little background research on Hinduism first, as they are a very modern offshoot of that relgion, as was Buddhism arguably.

All the best,

DW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you can get a "Goddess of Fortune " CD, please get one and I'll pay you for it. Seriously.

Crazy religion, great music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Hmm, will do. Although I never sign myself up to religions. I think that's the worst thing you can do because it creates an "us & them" scenario where I'd be whatever and you'd be something else, therefore causing problems, so I like to take bits from loads of different religions and apply it in my life. By far, the Hare Krishna movement strikes me as the most wise and non-violent. You know, not being materialistic and how not to wear false egos, to quote Jimi Hendrix "Castles made of sand fall in the sea...eventually". If you see where I am getting at.

So far the Hare Krishna movement has not told me to kill people because they are different, and that's fine with me.

Advertisement