Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating bios

Options
  • 07-04-2007 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

I've got a problem with my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. It won't boot the os (windows xp). I get the generic

disk read error
    press alt-control-delete

error. My research on the web indicates that this error results from a series of different problems. I'm pretty sure the hdd is ok and not buggered (i've performed a chkdsk, when going from a windows cd repair thingy I can dir around in dos at some of the files).

I'm hoping that updating the BIOS will make things work. This is just a hunch I have with little or no theoritical support for it.

My problems ismy laptop doesn't have a FDD (floppy disk drive) and therefore I can't use a floppy boot disk to update the BIOS. However, I may be able to get a usb FDD tomorrow. However, I want to attempt this fix tonight.

My question is can I make a CD image of the bootdisk and boot from that and update the BIOS as per FDD guide?

Another query is, I'm in "DOS" now after going from the Windows XP setup disk (repair) and i'm wondering if I just stick a floppy with the file on it in the drive will I be able to excute the bios update from there.

I'm obviously reluctant to do anything silly to my BIOS as bricking my laptop isn't an outcome I want to achieve.

Any advice on how to solve these problems (the larger one being the DISK READ ERROR and the smaller one being the BIOS update).

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

as per atlas's instructions I attempted to repair boot problems from within the windows xp repair console. I performed a fixboot and a fixmbr. Instead of the dis read error after the dell logo - I got a blank screen.

I then went back to the windows xp setup disk and rather than pressing R for repair I Pressed enter for install and then went into repair mode. This actually reinstalled (or attempted to) xp again. But it kept restarting at 34 mins left (after asking me if i should install some unapproved drivers). So I decided to install windows 2000 ~(cause I couldn't find my ubuntu cd) and it worked.

so....ehh...thanks guys.

Advertisement