Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easter in the discworld?

Options
  • 07-04-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

hogswatch = Christmas.

whats easter? I know he mentions sole duck day or something a few times, but does anyone whats the closest to easter ala discworld?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I don't think anything substantial regarding Easter has ever appeared in Discworld. Sole Cake Duck is the closest that we've seen. There's never been anything about the actual holiday as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Now I could be mistaken but i'm pretty sure Pratchett makes reference to Soul Cake Thursday, which I thought was the equivalent to our Easter Sunday ?

Also Soul Cake Duck = Easter Bunny ?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Soul Cake Tuesday is like a mix of Halloween, Pancake Tuesday and Easter.

There's something about hunting for the Soul cake duck, but I think there's more of an explanation in the Discworld Companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SoulCakes in our World is 1 Nov, All Saints Day.
    All Soul’s Eve Customs
    A Soule-cake, a Soule-cake; have mercy on
    all Christen souls for a Soule-cake.

Soul! Soul! for a soul-cake;
    Pray, good mistress, for a soul-cake.
    One for Peter, two for Paul,
    Three for them who made us all

'A species of magical fauna in the Easter Bunny/Reynard the Fox league, possibly associated with the fact that Soul Cake Tuesday is the opening of the duck-hunting season. The sighting of the first duck on Soul Cake Tuesday is considered very lucky, except, of course, for the duck.
    Engineered from the imaginations of the Discworld's inhabitants, the Soul Cake duck is big, bright and easy to shoot. Paranoid beyond sanity and generally in a very bad mood.'

duck.gif
    from
    http://www.pokkettz.demon.co.uk/discworld/necrocomicon/index.htm

Advertisement