Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizard in the Wicklow Mountains

Options
  • 07-04-2007 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

We saw a lizard today on the slopes of Djouce Mountain, a brownish-green little fellow about 5 inches long (mostly tail). No doubt the warm sunshine had enticed him out to sun himself on the rocks. We had a good long look at him before he made a dash for shelter and ran under the boardwalk. It was my first time ever to see a lizard in Ireland!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I see some out in the sand dunes in Tramore from time to time, probably the same lads. They usually bask on the bloody styrofoam that finds it's way on to the beach :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I occasionally spot one out in the Wicklow Mountains in various places. They're not that common though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I remember when I was young (a while back I'm afraid) there was a swampy spot at the edge of a bog where there were quite a few of those small lizards. You'd only see them at a certain time of the year. however that spot has since dried up and I've not seen a lizard since:( ....

So I'm glad to hear that there are some still about:) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Used to see them a lot around the old lead mines near the Wicklow gap. I think it's the only reptile native to Ireland. Clarification on this anyone?

boneless wrote:
    Used to see them a lot around the old lead mines near the Wicklow gap. I think it's the only reptile native to Ireland. Clarification on this anyone?

http://www.iwt.ie/lizards1.php

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

great link there alun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

artieanna wrote:
    I remember when I was young (a while back I'm afraid) there was a swampy spot at the edge of a bog where there were quite a few of those small lizards. You'd only see them at a certain time of the year. however that spot has since dried up and I've not seen a lizard since:( ....

So I'm glad to hear that there are some still about:) ...

that may have been a newt. But certainly could have been a lizard. I'm no lizard.

I'm jealous to be honest, never seen a lizard (reptile) or a newt (amphibian like frogs) in ireland. Thank god St Patrick took mercy on them and didn't banish the m like their serpent brethren :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Just noticed this thread today. I only became aware of lizards in this country about 3 years ago when I came across a dead one in Ballinteer in south dublin. I was very surprised at the time as I assumed there where no native cold blooded retiles in this country. This dead lizard was tiny - about 2/3 thirds the size of my thumb. I have since spotted a second living one recently in glendalough.

In case anyone is compiling a register of lizard spottings in ireland...

dogmatix wrote:
    In case anyone is compiling a register of lizard spottings in
    Ireland...

There's a link on that web page I linked to above to a survey sheet (word document) you can download, fill in, and email off to the IWT who are running a survey themselves at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Seen quite a few years ago when we used to go on holidays to West Kerry (Dunquin) - you would see them down on the beach and up the mountains hiding in the gorse bushes - they're extremely fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement