Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please!

Options
  • 07-04-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I just recently bought a laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501) but was annoyed to find out that none of my M-Audio equipment will work on Windows Vista, which was the only reason i bought the thing in the first place. Maybe i should have foreseen this but as i dont know that much about computers, (as you will find out), i did'nt.

So now my choice is to either wait until M-Audio make drivers for Windows Vista which, by the look of their website, doesnt look like it'll be very soon, or else install Windows XP. I don't mind going back to Windows XP cos from what i've seen Vista is'nt that great anyway and as someone else said (i think) on here it's real slow with only 512mb of ram, which is what i have.

But my problem is that if i was to install XP on it, it would be a cracked version. Will this be a big problem?

And also if i just insert the XP disc, will the laptop automatically install XP as it would if i were upgrading?

Or do you think i should just wait for the M-Audio drivers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Installing XP on the laptop is a straight forward process,cracked version or not...the only porblems you would face is that with Windows new Genuine Validation tools that install with autmatic updates you might get a popup message waring you that your copy of XP was illegal.
    Your other option of waiting for a Vista capale driver for your hardware could be a long wait...I'd go with the reinstall of XP and see how it plays out..you may need some technical assistance installing the drivers for the other hardware on the laptop when XP is reinstalled however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

Thanks for the reply.

What would happen if i did get a pop-up message warning me that it was an illegal copy?

Considering i would pretty much never use it for the internet would the updates even affect me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

If you dont use it for the internet (or even if you do) just dont download the Windows Genuine Validation hotfix and you'll never see the warning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭crowbar188

Ok, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

crowbar188 wrote:
    But my problem is that if i was to install XP on it, it would be a cracked version. Will this be a big problem?

Yes, it will be a big problem.

No discussion of cracked software allowed.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement