Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left hand drive insurance

Options
  • 07-04-2007 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

hi, im looking at getting a small '85 VW camper. one of the problems i have with it is that its a left hand drive. is it easy to get insurance on a left hand drive camper and any how much would i be looking at? (im a 22 year old male).

also does the age of the camper (also 22) put it into a classic or vintage category that would mean i could get cheap insurance?

last question, i have heard that campers are exempt from the NCT, is this true?

thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I can answer some of your questions.

The insurance doesn't matter if your van is LHD. Quite a few of them are. If you join the caravan club, it is done under a group scheme so everyone pays the same amount regardless of age, vehicle value or origin.

I spoke to someone about getting classic insurance on a VW Camper before and it seemed that the camper specific insurance is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 peteretep

thanks. sounds good. do they have restrictions on the age of the driver do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

check out Dolmen ins brokers - I think there is a lower age limit though:)

thanks, the age limit with dolmen is 27 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello There,

You should also try Stuart Insurances,17-21 Temple Road,Blackrock,Co.Dublin. Their number is (01) 288 1779.

Good Luck !

• Advertisement

thanks, they look like they might be a possibility. no age limit, but i must own and insure another car, which i dont.
    any other options?
    thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Hey man, The only other place that do camper insurance that I'm aware of are the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland, they go through Allianze, They have a good scheme but minimum age is 25, They might consider it though, worth a look. I'm 26 and went with them after both Dolman and Stuart refused to budge on the age and also not having another car on the road. 01- 8251364 is there number.

Good luck!

thanks but i got sorted out. my dad is going to be the owner of the van and i can be a named driver. got a good deal with stuart insurance.
    cant wait to get her on the road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

peteretep wrote:
    last question, i have heard that campers are exempt from the NCT, is this true?

Yes! But obviously only as long as it is registered as a camper, and recorded as such on its log book etc.

As far as I'm aware, any new insurance company you take out a policy with will demand an engineer's report though.

With VW campers, it often helps if the guy providing the engineer's report at least knows his way around a vw. Give me a shout if you want any contacts for vw-friendly garages who can supply engineer's reports ;)

Check out www.type2ireland.org for like-minded vw folks

Advertisement