Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive noise - landlord responsibility?

Options
  • 06-04-2007 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I moved into a lovely flat recently, but have found myself with two or three young male students for upstairs neighbours. They are extremely inconsiderate, having parties every weekend which go on til after 4/5am. Tonight (Thursday) I come home and find they are having an enormous party, spilling out into the back garden, with dance music on one side of their flat and rock on the other.

Myself and my flatmate have to be up early in the morning for work so I go up to complain. After knocking on the door for nearly 5 mins some off his face guy opens the door and I manage to get him to fetch one of the people who live there. Another inebriated, stoned moron comes to the door and grabs me in a hug when I ask him to please turn the music down. He protests that it's "not that loud". I point out that it's 3am and extremely inconsiderate no matter what volume it is, and that this is now a regular occurance from them.

Is my landlord under any obligation to his other tenants to throw these idiots out? They also play loud music most weeknights going on til around 1am, and have woken me up in the middle of the night practising their guitar skills!!!
    And can I call the police for noise disturbances such as these? It's now after 4am and they're still blasting out music.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

your landlord wont be able to do much

call the gardai they'll hang em by the balls and everytime they do it and take the piss call the gardai. make sure you make note of every call from the gardai and if they are persistent in being noisy then get onto the students landlord and explain about gardai being called etc etc

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sorry I should explain a bit better - I live in one of those victorian type houses that's been converted into flats. The one landlord owns all the flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Generally the Garda won't get involved in this type of thing once its in their house / flat, but this seems to also be in the common areas? => Breach of the peace / public nuisance.

You need to tell your landlord. He is repsonsible to you for the behavior of his other tenants. Make a (video?) recording with a time stamp if you can.

Any drugs going on? Do not lie to the Garda on this point.

I saw people going round with what looked like joints, and certainly looking stoned. Also spoke to a girl who - from her huge pupils - i'm certain was on E.

Drugs don't bother me, drunk people cause far more annoyance tbh. Going to ring the landlord this afternoon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Victor wrote:
    Any drugs going on? Do not lie to the Garda on this point.

Even if you think that they might have done drugs previously, I wouldn't tell the gardai. If there are drugs at the next party, and everyone is sloppy, the gardai will find them. Otherwise, you might be considered to be making a false complaint.

The landlord can ask them to leave, but I'm not sure that he would be very successful (it depends on how long they have been there for, whats in the lease, etc).

• Advertisement

If they're consistenly breaking the terms of the lease then he can evict them, and partying til 6am two nights in a row after complaints have been made puts them well on their way.

Advertisement