Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux compatible

Options
  • 05-04-2007 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Thinking of buying a linux box, preferably mobile, so am looking at laptops. Other than linuxcertified.com, (anyone bought anything from there?) is there anywhere to buy the hardware guaranteed to work with say Ubuntu?

On my main box, had problems getting anything to work properly because I couldn't get drivers for my hardware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Check out Linux Emporium for laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Jaeger wrote:
    Hi folks,

Thinking of buying a linux box, preferably mobile, so am looking at laptops. Other than linuxcertified.com, (anyone bought anything from there?) is there anywhere to buy the hardware guaranteed to work with say Ubuntu?

I'm posting this on a Thinkpad R50e running Ubuntu 6.10 :)

Generally, if you stick to main brands, with none too obscure hardware, you will be fine. I would say do your homework first. I tried Fedora, couldn't get the wireless working, despite the fact that it detected the hardware. One thing I did was tried out several different Live CDs with the laptop, then when you find one that works fine, install it.

Advertisement