Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bat Detector

Options
  • 05-04-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

I have toyed with the idea of getting a Bat Detector for a few years but I don't know where to start. Does anybody use them and if so what Makes, Models, Prices are there, and who supplies them? Any help would be appreciated. I come across bats locally from time to time and would like to study them a little more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 goreysquirrel

Hi there,

If you go to http://www.batconservationireland.org/index.php you can email them and they will be able to help.

I have a basic bat detector, it was meant to be DIY assemble job, but thankfully arrived already made up. The instructions looked quite complicated and you need to be able to solder.

It does the job nicely. The problem is with my id skills not the detector.

You can spend as much as you want on a detector, but the more basic ones are still very good for a beginner.

http://www.alanaecology.com/acatalog/Heterodyne.html supplies a range of models at different prices well worth a look.

I would defo recomend getting a detector, its great to be able to hear the bats and by allowing friends and family to hear the bats and explain whats happening has helped to dispell any myths about bats with them.

all the best GS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I have the Batbox III . This is the link to manufacturer. Alanaecology must stock them as well

It seems to be most recommended for a first basic bat detector and can be used for finding bush crickets!.
    You'll need some sort of guide as well. I got "The Bat Detective" mentioned further down the page. It is not too difficult to learn how to ID some bats
    using a bat detector but I think even with the guide you'll still need to spend an evening with someone more knowlegable as in the field it can be difficult. There are 9 species in Ireland. Some species can be identified easily, others are more difficult, the 3 Myotis species are difficult and other factors such as habitat are needed to reliable separate them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement