Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb 2 problem

Options
  • 04-04-2007 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Help please? Got a amilo and when plugging in a usb device a warning comes up telling me the device works faster with usb2! There are 4 usb ports on the laptop. when the warning to plug it in a usb2 port it looks like i have 4 ports and a 4 port hub? Have looked in the device manager where it gives the usb2 enhanced manager, tried to update the software, but tells me it is up to date! But heck can I find the usb2 port! Anyone knows please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I had the same problem and installed service pack 2 for windows xp and it worked after that. Not sure if it will solve your problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What make/model is the laptop?

How old is it? Are you sure it actually has USB2 ports, older systems have only USB1.1 which would explain the message you are seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

It is 16 months old, futjitsi siemens amilo l7300.
    And in the devicemanager it says enhanced usb2.
    Still when I plug in ie usb phone for skype, it tells me to plug it in a usb2 port, and I tried this with all the 4 ports.

piet wrote:
    It is 16 months old, futjitsi siemens amilo l7300.

So it's fairly certain that you have USB2 ports.
    piet wrote:
    And in the devicemanager it says enhanced usb2.
    Still when I plug in ie usb phone for skype, it tells me to plug it in a usb2 port, and I tried this with all the 4 ports.

Not sure what this enhanced usb2 is, though having checked my IBM Thinkpad, I have one of them.

Are you running on batteries when this happens?

Also, do you have any other USB devices plugged in at the same time?

No running on 240v. Called helpdesk, they did'nt know but advised to uninstall and reinstall all usb ports, but am a bit wary of this! At the moment have the voda modem plugged in with the double usb connector, mouse and usb phone.Maybe I try to uninstall the normal usb 's first and leave only the enhanced usb2 , in device manager. Would you think that is ok?

• Advertisement

I think that's your problem right there - the amount of things you have plugged in to the usb ports at the one time.

Before uninstalling anything, I would unplug everything first, then try the skype phone on it's own. See if you get the error now.

Right, I'll try that at home when I am on wireless, but I think it allways came up! Tried uninstall-did not help it all came back the same after reinstalling! Thanks.

Advertisement