Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading

Options
  • 04-04-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

i am currently thinking of upgrading probably early next yr i reckon i need 70k extra for what i want... this would bring my mortgage up to 300k. I am currently on salary 43k no dependants and no outstanding loan it will be just myself applying. Is there any chance of getting lenders to agree to this kind of loan i was told i was pushing it getting 230k for my initial loan so am i dreaming thinking i could get 300k(320k would be even better) . any feedback from people who have done it or any brokers etc how much they reckon the max i could get?? would be great. i am 27 also so i reckon am young enough to go for longer term mortgages.

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Eoghan25 wrote:
    i am currently thinking of upgrading probably early next yr i reckon i need 70k extra for what i want... this would bring my mortgage up to 300k. I am currently on salary 43k no dependants and no outstanding loan it will be just myself applying. Is there any chance of getting lenders to agree to this kind of loan i was told i was pushing it getting 230k for my initial loan so am i dreaming thinking i could get 300k(320k would be even better) . any feedback from people who have done it or any brokers etc how much they reckon the max i could get?? would be great. i am 27 also so i reckon am young enough to go for longer term mortgages.

cheers

In all honesty- with the increase in interest rates that has occurred, and the further increases forecast, it is highly possible that your borrowing capacity has in fact decreased rather than increased- though its impossible to say without knowing further personal particulars. If you are in a permanent pensionable job (preferably permanent in the Public sector) then it is possible, but unlikely, that you would get 300k as a sole borrower on a salary of 43k. Contact your lender and take soundings elsewhere to get an indication of the state of the lending market. Unfortunately a lot of the lenders are running scared.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

taking on debt equivalent to almost 8 times pre-tax income is probably not clever at this time

would be very interested to see if the banks will still allow this degree of leverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Eoghan25 wrote:
    i am currently thinking of upgrading probably early next yr i reckon i need 70k extra for what i want... this would bring my mortgage up to 300k. I am currently on salary 43k no dependants and no outstanding loan it will be just myself applying. Is there any chance of getting lenders to agree to this kind of loan i was told i was pushing it getting 230k for my initial loan so am i dreaming thinking i could get 300k(320k would be even better) .
    A lot depends on the value of the house, and what percentage of it you're borrowing.

If your equity on the old property gives you 20% of the value of the new house, you should have no problem borrowing 300k as the new house will only be 80% financed.

Eoghan25 wrote:
    i am 27 also so i reckon am young enough to go for longer term mortgages.

cheers

eh, your no spring chicken!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

taking on debt equivalent to almost 8 times pre-tax income is probably not clever at this time

would be very interested to see if the banks will still allow this degree of leverage

Was listening to the in-laws talk about getting their first mortgage and surviving on soup for two days each week to have enough money to pay. Now that puts things into a different perspective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement