Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round world trip - best time to go for Tax back

Options
  • 03-04-2007 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All,
    I'm planning a round the world trip and want to know what is the maximun I can earn and still be able to claim tax back at the end of year ( ie finance the trip when cash gets low). I'm trying to plan the best time to leave ireland, I will not be back until 2008. My lower tax rate cut off is 34000, I work shift work so pay tax at the higher rate aswell.

The way I see it is that if i leave Ireland before i reach the 34000 mark I will get whatever tax I've paid at the higher rate @41 %. Is this right?

If anyone has experienced this in the past or knows something about it, i'd be very greatfull.

Gings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I would assume so, but I don't know if they would pro-rata the 34k cut off (i.e. if you are here and working for 9 months rather than 34k/12 = 2833 then multiply that by 9 = 25,497). I know your annual tax free allowance gets pro-rated if you leave the country mid year.

Best bet is to call and ask I'd say.

Advertisement