Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger Query

Options
  • 03-04-2007 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’m planning to let out a room to a lodger in my new apartment in Dublin (I’ll be an owner/occupier). The apartment will be very well stocked with high quality equipment and it’s strikes me as possible that someone could move in, pay an approx €500 deposit and then clean the place out. To help avoid this, my advert is going to be very modest, not going into too much detail on the facilities in the apartment.

Has anyone ever heard of the above happening and can anyone recommend ways to avoid it? Thinking of asking lodger for photo ID, but this might be a bit unethical.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

The last place I rented required letters from the bank, our employers, a previous landlord as well as requiring our PPS numbers, and a photocopy of our passports. They were worried about the same thing happening (i.e. place being cleaned out).

I think you are right to protect yourself against this, and I wouldn't consider it unethical.

That being said, I know there are legal differences between renting as a sole tenant and being a lodger in an owner occupied place. So I'm not sure how that affects things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭markpb

aniascor wrote:
    as well as requiring our PPS numbers

That sounds a bit dodgy for me. There's no reason for a landlord to need your PPS number and I'm fairly sure it's illegal under the DPA.

Apart from that, like aniascor said, the best you can do is require references from employers and previous landlords and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fightingfit

For your own safety you should ask for the following (and its within your rights to do so)
    - copy of ID, (passport or drivers license)
    - reference letter from place of employment
    - reference letter from previous landlord.

All are required by any letting agency so you should do the same.
    Better to be happy in the knowledge you have all the correct info.
    Oh., and dont forget to actually ring the references to check they are actually real. You would be surprised at the amount of ppl that fake their refs.
    Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

markpb wrote:
    That sounds a bit dodgy for me. There's no reason for a landlord to need your PPS number and I'm fairly sure it's illegal under the DPA.
    PPS number is needed for registering with the PRTB, although as an owner occupier FrCrilly probably doesn't need to register with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

PPS number is not required to register with PRTB. It is required that the landlord request it, but it is not required that the tenant provide it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Fr Crilly - Dont take this wrong, but you have to relax. If you asked me for that much information I would do an about turn and leave the building.

You have to trust a person, even to a small extent, if its in your head that your tennant is going to rip you off its not going to be much fun for them...

Ask for the Refrence from where they live now, a letter from their work to verify they do indeed have a job and get a deposit off them..

But I place huge stock on interviewing candidates. Get them in a couple of times and just have a random chat over a cup of tea in the kitchen. Thats how we did it over 6 years of house sharing in the UK, and we never went wrong for us..

Advertisement