Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas bridge for Docklands unveiled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I can't see where the cycle lanes are. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

It's simply stunning.

So when are the NIMBYs going to start delaying it indefinitely...:rolleyes: I can hear the hear the bi-polar meglomanic alcoholics and taxi drivers calling Joe Duffy already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Oh now thats a nice bridge. Original, innovative..... Im so used to saying "so why cant that be built here?" that Im amazed its supposed to go in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

That looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The bridge is being discussed on Archiseek.com, with multiple comments about the lack of cycle facilities. I've emailed the DDDA to raise the issue.

Is the bridge near Guild Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

daymobrew wrote:
    The bridge is being discussed on Archiseek.com, with multiple comments about the lack of cycle facilities. I've emailed the DDDA to raise the issue.

Is the bridge near Guild Street?

thats exactly where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Zebra3 wrote:
    It broadens and dips down in the middle with curved walkways and cycle paths on either side to take pedestrians and cyclists close to the water.

Reading. Not just for Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Lit up it actually looks like a living thing (in the artists impression anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Borzoi wrote:

I'm well capable of reading smart arse.

But to me there doesn't look like enough space between the lanes for traffic and the side of the bridge for both pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Borzoi wrote:
    Pedestrians and cyclists don't mix safely. I find that pedestrians aren't great at walking in straight lines (and often cyclists don't adjust their cycling appropriately). Most cyclists will have seen situations where peds choose the bike path over the ped path on side-by-side bike/ped footpaths (or just use the bike path like in the Phoenix Park :mad: ).
    In these shared routes, the cyclist has to drop their speed dramatically and then negotiate their way back into road traffic at the end of that route. I'd take on-road lanes any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

daymobrew wrote:
    Most cyclists will have seen situations where peds choose the bike path over the ped path on side-by-side bike/ped footpaths

Like on North Wall Quay and opposite on Sir John Rogersons, where bikes and pedestrians mix freely on both footpath and cyclepath :rolleyes: Not to mention the "pedestrian only" Sean O'Casey bridge! It almost makes offering separate options pointless as neither pedestrian or cyclist seem to take any heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

A really landmark-looking piece. Congratulations to those who chose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh it's stunning, hopefully now no delays and it'll be up and running as per schedule..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw this in the paper on Sunday, think it looks amazing. Although I love the image of the sppedboats in there because, personally now, I've never seen any on the Liffey

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Zebra3 wrote:
    I can't see where the luas tracks are. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

kbannon wrote:
    I can't see where the luas tracks are. :confused:

The picture hurt my eyes - looks like thin lines are the tracks, there appear to be two at each tram, then like some hideous optical illusion you realise there are three lines total and both trams are using the middle one and about to crash!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe its a hover-tram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

kbannon wrote:
    Maybe its a hover-tram

Now THAT would be worth €600M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Zoney wrote:
    The picture hurt my eyes - looks like thin lines are the tracks, there appear to be two at each tram, then like some hideous optical illusion you realise there are three lines total and both trams are using the middle one and about to crash!
    I'm seeing that optical illusion too! Gah, it's like a hideous Escher picture.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nah, it's just the edge of the lanes, the track is a little narrower than the trams.

and still can't see the bike lanes

where did they find that old volkswagen transporter , and the blue car about to go onto the bridge looks like it's spent the last 50 years driving around Havana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nice style, but there are a bunch of problems.

* Nice little niche for anti-social behavior under the bridge.
    * Its not the bridge approved in the inquiry.
    * Cycling. It is probably best that cyclists mix with vehicular traffic as cyclists can go straight on or turn left, vehicular traffic can only turn left.
    * The width and air draught of the dock is affected.
    Mushy wrote:
    Saw this in the paper on Sunday, think it looks amazing. Although I love the image of the sppedboats in there because, personally now, I've never seen any on the Liffey
    Its on the Royal Canal (or the Grand Canal as the RPA call it :rolleyes:), not the Liffey.
    “The visual impact of the bridge is significant as it is in a conspicuous location visible from quite a distance along the canal in either direction.
    Well all of 200m.
    It will clearly impact on the Royal Canal Linear Park by dominating the skyline of the section running from North Wall to Sherriff Street.
    I think the 11-storey apartment blocks will do that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The resulting structure is almost as wide as it is long to accommodate the Luas tram lines and traffic lanes. It broadens and dips down in the middle with curved walkways and cycle paths on either side to take pedestrians and cyclists close to the water.
    so it does have cycle lanes then, but shouldn't they be flat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Victor wrote:
    I think the 11-storey apartment blocks will do that.

11 storey apartment blocks the likes of which are being built in that area dominate nothing. The design of apartments in Dublin is exceptionally ordinary. Most of what is being built now are the eyesores of tomorrow.

This bridge if built, however, would be something special. An iconic structure that will really enhance the area. Eyes will be drawn to the beautiful bridge instead of the poor architecture surrounding it.

Advertisement