Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Taxi Drivers Union- NO seat belt SHOCK

Options
  • 02-04-2007 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Tommy Gorman of the National Taxi Drivers Union, TONIGHT shocked the Irish people on RTE's Naked Camera, as he did NOT HAVE his seat belt on, IS THIS THE EXAMPLE our taxis BOSS are showing us?

The European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) study on European seat-belt wearing rates estimates that across Europe almost 12,000 lives were saved in 2005 alone by the use of seat-belt in cars..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

AFAIK - and I wouldn't swear to it - taxi drivers are exempted from the seatbelt law.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

he was in the Passenger Seat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Calina wrote:
    AFAIK - and I wouldn't swear to it - taxi drivers are exempted from the seatbelt law.

They used to be, but the exemption died via a ministerial order a year or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Mea culpa. I didn't see the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

irish147 wrote:
    he was in the Passenger Seat

What's the penalty for that or does it just affect the driver? :confused:

• Advertisement

I dont know, hope we can see the clip on youtube after... did you see the show tonight?

George Hook on Naked Camera--NO SEATBELT TOO

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Zebra3 wrote:
    What's the penalty for that or does it just affect the driver? :confused:

€60 fine +2 penalty points if you're a driver not wearing a seatbelt or a driver in a car with under 17s not wearing seatbelts.
    €60 fine if you're a passenger not wearing a seatbelt.
    Callina wrote:

Nope. Driving testers are though.

I've noticed a few times getting into taxis that the drivers was very careful to make sure I put my seatbelt on. I'm not sure if they're misinterpreting the law as regards their responsibilities or if taxi drivers do get some penalty if their passengers aren't belted up.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

irish147 wrote:
    George Hook on Naked Camera--NO SEATBELT TOO

He did, hejust kept taking it off when he was trying to escape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Yeah. He also had the door open. Shock horror. He was trying to get out.

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmRCWb393yE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Black_Venom

hahaha thats so funny... "the hair on him though", "Your seatbelt is beeping George, beep beep beep beep" haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

irish147 wrote:
    Tommy Gorman of the National Taxi Drivers Union, TONIGHT shocked the Irish people on RTE's Naked Camera, as he did NOT HAVE his seat belt on, IS THIS THE EXAMPLE our taxis BOSS are showing us?

The European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) study on European seat-belt wearing rates estimates that across Europe almost 12,000 lives were saved in 2005 alone by the use of seat-belt in cars..

oh that was the funniest think, he lost it.
    class tv,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Do you blame him? If that were me, the seat belt would be the last thing on my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stark wrote:
    I've noticed a few times getting into taxis that the drivers was very careful to make sure I put my seatbelt on. I'm not sure if they're misinterpreting the law as regards their responsibilities or if taxi drivers do get some penalty if their passengers aren't belted up.

Its safer for them if you have their belt on, both on road safety and personal safety grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

And when he did manage to keep the belt on, he put the shoulder and upper body restraint part of the belt under his left arm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I'v seen this twice now with regard to two Irish "reality" TV shows.

I've seen people not wear a seat belt on that show about animal rescue and that show that was about foreign nationals trying to become more irish than the irish or something along those lines.

How stupid are people to not wear a seat belt? I mean really how much is it going to inconvience them?

(And yup, I watch too much telly)

Advertisement