Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address indicating security breach?

Options
  • 02-04-2007 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Long story but I'll give the condensed version:
    I was on a website and when I went to post something I was told that I was autoblocked from doing so because my IP address was associated with a banned member. The problem is, it's just me at this computer. I am the sole user of even the modem that is used to get on the internet.

Is it possible that someone is somehow using my IP address or even hacking into my computer to use what would appear to be my computer to post things?
    If so, how to I stop it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Get your computer to give the modem a new ip and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo

someone else using the ip address you have been assigned was caught hacking.

ISp allocate ip address at random but they trck who was using an ip address at anyone time.

Try diconnecting a dialling up again as this will more than likely get you a different ip address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

"Assigned"? That sounds random. I thought IP addresses were used to track users (if tracking was required), wouldn't the creation of different IP addresses make it too difficult to track people? Or is that impossible and am I just highlighting the fact that I really shouldn't have looked beyond my C compiler to surf the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

wouldn't the creation of different IP addresses make it too difficult to track people?
    Nah, just log what account number was assaigned what IP at each time.

Advertisement