Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments

Options
  • 02-04-2007 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is in the right thread but does anyone know if you can rent allotments in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sorry - late reply.

AFAIK - Allotments seem to be an English thing. I haven't seen any here - anyone seen any?

Have you had any luck finding one?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are over here, at least they used to be. Were called plots as apposed to allotments.
    I used to help my grandad on his when I was younger, 12-15 years ago. My dad also had one for a while, south west dublin both of these. But the land they were on was sold for housing estates, Im not sure if they are still available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Annamoe99

I am planning to set up private allotments on a site in Co Wicklow.
    They will hopefully be starting in the spring of 2009.
    Would this be of interest to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

Public allotments are available to rent from local authorities (Councils) in Dublin Area- Fingal has one large area in Donabate (with a long waiting list apparently), South Dublin also has a few and I think Dun Laoghaire Rathdown do aswell. the rent is usually very reasonable with discount for OAPs, on benefit etc. As this is not an area that Councils have expanded much recently, there is high demand for the plots. Look up each of the Council website and give them a ring. Some Councils have rules about where you live to go on waiting lists- which I think is unfair as for those who live in the City area there are no options then.

An issue that should be raised when your local Councillor comes knocking on your door over the next few months- they are all up for election in June this year- so I would be demanding they take this issue a lot more seriously than they have in the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 BetheChange

Annamoe99 wrote: »

Annamoe

I am currently helping my retired parents set one up in South Wexford to supplement their income. I would love to have a chat to share ideas and experiences

Des

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

there is a crowd called N2 allotments, just of the slane -ashbourne road.

they seem to be new and creating new plots by the week.
    dont know how popular they are though

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Annamoe99 wrote: »

I'd be interested where/when/how :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

hick wrote: »
    I'd be interested where/when/how :D

Annamoe allotments details listed here..... Annamoe allotments on Allotments.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

This website may be of interest:

http://www.irishallotments.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Azlan

Annamoe

I am currently helping my retired parents set one up in South Wexford to supplement their income. I would love to have a chat to share ideas and experiences

Des

Hi Des,

I'd love to hear more about the allotments you're setting up - I will be moving to Wexford soon and want to start growing my own veg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

None in around Kilkenny/Waterford...shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Allotments aren't really an English thing - though the English have made them their own, as well as the rest of Europe.

The movement started in Denmark, I think, and was popular all over Europe for most of the 20th century.

The allotment sitch in Dublin County Council is a bit sticky, as the council is under pressure to build housing, though this may have lessened with the building crash.

The DCC allotments - when I had one - were way too huge for a single person; several people had several allotments each and used them for commercial growing, while singles trying to control rampant weeds on a massive allotment would fail miserably.

If you're going to get one, I'd recommend you to go in with two other people - that you're sure are dedicated, hard-working and not the kind to lose interest - and work a single allotment divided into thirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

could i suggest that this thread gets moved to the gardening forum?

may have a bit more input there. I'm not particularly into "green issues" as such, but do hold an allotment and grow quite a bit at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

As far as I know, SDCC have allotments in Bohernabrena. Quite a waiting list from what I hear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

One started recently in Clonmel Co.Tipperary.

http://www.clonmelallotments.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

Was just on the donabate/portrane forum and there's new allotments in Donabate that have just started up (also got a flyer in the door). The web address is http://www.donabateallotments.viviti.com haven't been up to see them yet myself but there's a good review from someone on the forum who has.

Advertisement