Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Driving Test

Options
  • 01-04-2007 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the place to post this. So I apologise in advance.

I am currently 16 (17 in the summer). What I was wondering is....can you take the theory test before you are 17?? The reason I ask this is because I may be getting insured for my birthday.

If I can apply now, how long does it take for you to get a date for your theory test on average.

Sorry for what might seem like obvious questions but I didn't know where else to ask. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

doesn't take long bro. go online and apply. you can pick what date to do it on. i'm pretty sure you don't have to be over 17

Taken from the website:
    How old must I be before I can take the test?
    In theory you can take the test at anytime, although you must submit your Pass Certificate to a licencing authority within two years for a first provisional licence or else it expires and you will therefore have to sit and pay for the test again

www.dtts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Took me about 3 weeks to get my theory test. That was 3 years ago. Not sure what the waiting list is these days.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

newbie2 wrote:
    doesn't take long bro. go online and apply. you can pick what date to do it on. i'm pretty sure you don't have to be over 17

Taken from the website:
    How old must I be before I can take the test?
    In theory you can take the test at anytime, although you must submit your Pass Certificate to a licencing authority within two years for a first provisional licence or else it expires and you will therefore have to sit and pay for the test again

www.dtts.ie

Thanks a lot guys. Guess I have some learning to do. Is the theory test hard?? My friend failed the theory test twice. He's such a fool. haha!!

he is afraid to take it again. Once again, thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

It will be the easiest test you will ever take ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

hey there,

you can defiately get the provisional at 16 think the reason is for work vehicles like tractors and stuff.

The test's not that hard, some of the questions are really obvious and there isn't that many or the harder types. Think I spent about 4 hours craming it the night before and I passed first time. :)

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Thanks man. Also, I heard about the new rules of the road book thats come out. Isn't the theory test changing in May or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They will probably add some more questions - just buy a second edition book + CD from Easons and get the test done before May.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Pacifico wrote:
    It will be the easiest test you will ever take ;)

Ain't that the truth.
    Mary-Ellen wrote:
    hey there,

you can defiately get the provisional at 16 think the reason is for work vehicles like tractors and stuff.

You can only get a category W licence at 16 (the one that allows you to drive work vehicles). You need to be 17 to get a category B licence for driving cars.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stark wrote:
    You can only get a category W licence at 16
    A 16 year old can also apply for a provisional licence in categories A1 and M also. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Did my theory last october just before they changed the test to more questions
    37/40 with barely any study
    turned 17 in february and now waiting the long wait for the full licence
    drivingtest.ie says 42 weeks for limerick (but theres two in limerick so i dont know which one its on about)
    either way im hope im not waiting 42 weeks

• Advertisement

Once again, thanks for the info. I am going to book a theory test online later this evening. So which book do I have to study?? Is it the brand new one that was released just recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Once again, thanks for the info. I am going to book a theory test online later this evening. So which book do I have to study?? Is it the brand new one that was released just recently?
    Of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Yellow Snow

Thanks man. Also, I heard about the new rules of the road book thats come out. Isn't the theory test changing in May or something??

I just booked my test for the 3rd of May but i've heard nothing about the test changing then. I've been using the new edition of the cd so i should be grand but does anyone know if they actually are changing anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

One thing you should watch out for on the DTT, is that you may be asked stuff that is totally irrelevant to the license you're seeking.

I remember being asked some questions about offal loads on tractors etc it wasn't that much but it was a couple of questions and I hadn't a clue about any of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SeanW wrote:
    One thing you should watch out for on the DTT, is that you may be asked stuff that is totally irrelevant to the license you're seeking.

I remember being asked some questions about offal loads on tractors etc it wasn't that much but it was a couple of questions and I hadn't a clue about any of it.
    It's actually relevant since there isn't a separate tractor one http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland
    Vehicle categories and Driver Theory Tests

There are 4 basic types of driver theory tests (use the table above as a guide);

* Category AM
    * Category BW
    * Category C
    * Category D.
    B Vehicles with seats for up to 8 passengers and max weight of 3,500kg
    W Works vehicle such as a tractor or JCB

AM is bikes
    C is trucks
    D is buses

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SeanW wrote:
    you may be asked stuff that is totally irrelevant to the license you're seeking..... ......I remember being asked some questions about offal loads on tractors etc
    How is it totally irrelevant? A B licence automatically covers one to drive a tractor therefore it is very relevant. How are the department to know which type of vehicle you intend to drive? It would be a bit like someone saying that they shouldn't have to answer motorway questions as there are none in their county, or about manual gears changing as they intend to drive autos only.

Advertisement