Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 carryng France24?

Options
  • 01-04-2007 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I noticed tonight saturday into sunday morning that TG4 is carrying France24 as it's overnight service .RTE 2 is still carrying Euronews

Anyone know how long this has been going on or is it just new tonight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

I supposed someone finally realised there was damn all point in both RTE and TG4 relaying the same channel simultaneously :rolleyes:

Although it would have been better to go for something less Eurocentric like Al Jazerra or alternativly (with TG4 being for minority languages and all) some Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian etc (maybe a different one each night of the week)

Mind you the late night content of say Polonia 1 might upset some of the more conservative elements of Irish society -which of course is another good reason for doing it :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would TG4 or RTE have to pay to carry these news channels, or are the news channels quite happy to have the extra viewers.

Perhaps that thought might be the reason they're carrying EuroNews and France24 as opposed to the likes of BBC World or Sky News.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would believe RTE would be allowed carry Euronews for free, as a part owner of the channel (albeit some sub-1% part...). TG4, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most of the World Satellite FTA News channels can be carried freely by permission.

Exceptions are likely Fox News, Bloomberg and CNBC/MSNBC

BBC World TV could be FTA, terrestrially in Ireland, but not available at all in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I don't like it :(
    From what I saw, too much news about France and the American-sounding announcers are annoying.

• Advertisement

From what I saw, too much news about France

What were you expecting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

too much news about France

What else could you expect about a channel called France 24?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If memory serves both France24 and that russian one (Russia today?) both kinda arrived at the same time and to be perfectly honest they're pretty brutal... You think that TG4 (if switching from EuroNews) would at least get something good to replace it...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Russia Today had been around for >2 years on other satellites, just came to Sky then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As of yesterday TG4 is being provided by Telifis na Gaelige, an independent public corporation, rather than Serbhisí Telefís na Gaelige Teoranta, which was a subsidary of RTÉ. This may have something to do with the switch away from Euronews which RTÉ as a consortium member may have free access to, which TG4 would no longer be able to avail of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I do know that TV One in New Zealand carries BBC World overnight on their channel.

I'd guess the BBC would be slightly twichty allowing the likes of TG4 to carry them overnight considering the amount of viewers in the UK (N.Ireland and parts of Wales in this case) that can receive them.

Anyone in UK with a satellite dish at 13E, 19E, 1W and a few other places can get BBC World freely. TG4 overspill wouldn't worry them.

TG4 is far too heavily broadcast in the UK - cable, satellite and terrestrially from within NI as well as overspill - for BBC World to be allowed on it.

I would suspect they'll sell the space to the highest bidder. It used to be QVC at the start, remember...

Anyone in UK with a satellite dish at 13E, 19E, 1W and a few other places can get BBC World freely

Indeed we can and do

I know quite a few people who would watch it in preference to News 24 because it has more international news and some good feature programmes.

Of course heaven forbid that your channel would get a few more viewers especially viewers who are actually paying for the damn thing :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I thought BBC World, as a commercial entity, was not paid for by the British Licence fee?

I recall QVC on TnaG back in the day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Of course heaven forbid that your channel would get a few more viewers especially viewers who are actually paying for the damn thing :rolleyes:

The license fee doesn't pay for BBC World.

Is it not like the BBC WS radio financed 1/3 from licence fees 2/3 from the treasury (i.e. UK taxpayers)

Either way were paying for it -Not that Im complaining mind theres a lot worse they could (and do) spend our money on.

Unless of course it runs entirely on ad revenue (but even then if one buys any of the products advertised.....)

Only paying for it if you subscribe to Sky/Cable, buy the Radio Times or buy BBC DVDs - BBC World is funded -entirely- by BBC Worldwide and mostly by its ad revenues.

Is it not like the BBC WS radio financed 1/3 from licence fees 2/3 from the treasury (i.e. UK taxpayers)

Either way were paying for it -Not that Im complaining mind theres a lot worse they could (and do) spend our money on.

Unless of course it runs entirely on ad revenue (but even then if one buys any of the products advertised.....)

BBC World TV is by BBC Worldwide/BBC Enterprizes, has no direct connection with BBC World Service, or the proposed BBC World Service TV.

It's part of BBC Prime/BBC America/BBC Food etc all International PayTV. So Since BBC Worldwide/BBCEnterpizes is making a profit, it does not cost either the Foriegn office (BBC World Service only) nor the UK Licence payer.

I have no idea if it makes a profit or BBC Prime etc subsize it, or if it "charges" BBC News24 or vice versa.

Advertisement