Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Car Colours

Options
  • 31-03-2007 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Doing a full respray on a Carina II it is powder blue painting it gloss black hopefully next weekend, just a legal question about it, the car will be nct after i paint it will the colour make any diffrence about it's nct/tax? as it will say blue on the disk?

Thanking you
    -VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You will have to inform the taxation people of the colour change - there is aform you will need fill out - not sure which one. This way the colour will match that stated on the disc. A difference in colour (disc vs car) could lead to unnecessary questions at a Garda checkpoint if the garda scrutinises the disc - which they sometimes do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Why arent you mod -ct-?
    If not for being helpfull then for listening to my Arthur Daly antics:)

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Volvoboy wrote:
    Why arent you mod -ct-?
    If not for being helpfull then for listening to my Arthur Daly antics:)

-VB-

Maybe we could recommend him...and junkyard (who hasn't been around too much recently I notice

Volvoboy wrote:
    my Arthur Daly antics:)
    -VB-

You will be fully recognised for your Arthur Daly antics the moment someone pops your bonnet or lifts your carpet and sees the true original colour :D

Unless you intend to do a proper strip job.........................:p

Noi intention on selling the car, not now or ever as nobody wants them anymore well except me:) , only person who'll know is my mecanic who happens to be me and he's cool with it:D

-VB-

• Advertisement

^^^Just be sure the tax people know! It's easier than having to explain the situation to an irate Garda!

EDIT : I've been there with my MKI Golf GTI which was listed as red but, in fact, was blue - because I'd crashed the red one and put the engine into a blue shell I bought from a scrapper. I forgot to inform the taxation department! I used the plates from the original red Golf that was already registered to me.

Will do, and i mean what i said about the mod thing, you junkyard and ColmMcM, yis 'er all know yer stuff, maybe not mods now but one day definitely, FFS where else would i get an answer about changing a car colour legally at 01:18am on a sunday?

:)

-VB-

Volvoboy wrote:
    Will do, and i mean what i said about the mod thing, you junkyard and ColmMcM, yis 'er all know yer stuff, maybe not mods now but one day definitely, FFS where else would i get an answer about changing a car colour legally at 01:18am on a sunday?

:)

-VB-

Thanks for the kind words. While I work in the motor trade, I'm in the unique postion of being a customer to the motor trade - from a service aspect. I'm sick of getting ripped off and getting bad and ludicrous advice. It's nice to be able to pass on my experiences to those that, tbh, are less informed. I'm sure others here feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,095 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well said, crosstownk. Group night-night hug and kiss anyone? :D

unkel wrote:
    Well said, crosstownk. Group night-night hug and kiss anyone? :D

Geer up owa tha'!:D

Called the motor section, not the broke back mountain section:D

yes:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

crosstownk wrote:
    ^^^Just be sure the tax people know! It's easier than having to explain the situation to an irate Garda!

EDIT : I've been there with my MKI Golf GTI which was listed as red but, in fact, was blue - because I'd crashed the red one and put the engine into a blue shell I bought from a scrapper. I forgot to inform the taxation department! I used the plates from the original red Golf that was already registered to me.

Tut tut! The reg stays with the chassis, no? Otherwise we could all do that - buy a car up north or across the water then stick a set of Irish plates on it. That's called 'ringing' I think.

Not your ornery onager

Volvoboy wrote:
    Called the motor section, not the broke back mountain section:D

ROFL:D

esel wrote:
    Tut tut! The reg stays with the chassis, no? Otherwise we could all do that - buy a car up north or across the water then stick a set of Irish plates on it. That's called 'ringing' I think.

Jebus!! You have me sussed. I crashed my lovely Tornado red Golf GTI in The Square in Tallaght - 4 days after it opened. I bought a NI reg chassis and installed the engine out of my red GTI. Officially word was that I painted it blue. Drove it for 4 years until the scrappage deal................

VIN plates - sure they're just riveted on!!!!

I dont recommend this procedure to anyone given the legal complications involved..................We were alll young once *ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote:
    there is aform you will need fill out - not sure which one. .

Is it not on the back of the vlc? (dont have mine to hand.

or maybe it was one of the tax forms.

crosstownk wrote:
    VIN plates - sure they're just riveted on!!!!

I dont recommend this procedure to anyone given the legal complications involved..................We were alll young once *ahem*

Thought i was bad with my wheeling and dealing ways, i havent got a patch on you :rolleyes:

-VB-

It was my own car. I'd never have sold it - I knew I'd have to drive it till it stopped - but then the scrappage deal came along and all of a sudden it was worth a grand!

Well nobody got stung with a two for one suppose.

-VB-

^^ No - I never intended to sell it. To do so would have been bad form.

Same deal with the carina i have no intention on selling it on.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Volvoboy wrote:
    Same deal with the carina i have no intention on selling it on.

What's your lowest price - I just need the plates really!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote:
    What's your lowest price - I just need the plates really!

Sorry - it's an 'all or nothing' sort of deal :D

Lol:)

-vb-

Advertisement