Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown numbers game

Options
  • 31-03-2007 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm AMAZING at maths :cool: and I can't work it out. My friend's EVEN BETTER :cool: :cool: and he can't do it either, so it's got to be impossible, right?

Numbers: 100 75 50 10 8 2

Target: 461

Ans:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There is a long running Countdown game on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

dentaku wrote:
    I'm AMAZING at maths :cool: and I can't work it out. My friend's EVEN BETTER :cool: :cool: and he can't do it either, so it's got to be impossible, right?

Numbers: 100 75 50 10 8 2

Target: 461

Ans:

Cant be done. Closest is 460, but you knew that didnt you. Come on...admit it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

thrill wrote:
    Cant be done. Closest is 460, but you knew that didnt you. Come on...admit it.:)

QFT.

You don't even need to try it, one look at the numbers tells you that it's not possible to produce a '1' at the end of any possible answer.

For those wondering how to get 460:

8-2 =6
    6*75=450
    450+10=460

It's also possible to get 462 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

r3nu4l wrote:

You don't even need to try it, one look at the numbers tells you that it's not possible to produce a '1' at the end of any possible answer.

For those wondering how to get 460:

8-2 =6
    6*75=450
    450+10=460

Not true, it is possible to get a 1

(100/50)/2=1

Obviously the two is required to get to 460.
    But a 1 is possible ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

would you take 461.25???

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    Not true, it is possible to get a 1

(100/50)/2=1

Obviously the two is required to get to 460.
    But a 1 is possible ;)
    When I said any possible answer, I meant any possible answer...to this target, therefore it's impossible. Anyone can get a 1 from it, just not for that target.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Maybe this has been asked before on Countdown (but I can't remember), as well as addition/subtraction/multiplication & division is it possible to use the numbers as powers of each other? Such as 2^8 = 256

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Maybe this has been asked before on Countdown (but I can't remember), as well as addition/subtraction/multiplication & division is it possible to use the numbers as powers of each other? Such as 2^8 = 256

Not sure about the TV show but on the Countdown thread on boards, powers are not allowed. I have never seen them used on the TV show so would doubt it's allowed as it would be a fairly common practice by now and does make the game far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dentaku

thrill wrote:

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not allowed them on the show either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement