Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I play Racquetball in Dublin

Options
  • 31-03-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

What is it about Dublin that it is next near impossible to find an indoor handball/racquetball alley that you don't have to become a member of the gym to play there?

I know there's an alley at Sportslink, at DCU, at Croke Park, at UCD. I don't know of any others. I've called the first two above and was told that I, or one of my party, has to be a member of the club so as to join. Well, all I want to do is play racquetball. Gym bores me and swimming is too much effort for too little gain. All I want to do is racquetball once or twice a week. It hardly justifies joining their gym.

Any ideas where in Dublin (North, Central or South) I can find an alley that I don't have to pay annual subscription to?

Cheers,

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MicheleS

Brian,

Just wondering if you ever got a response on this one? Or if you found some yourself? Know of any courts?

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tomchats

MicheleS wrote: »
    Brian,

Just wondering if you ever got a response on this one? Or if you found some yourself? Know of any courts?

Michele

Hi

same boat, believe there is a club in Garristown,

There is also a court, pay to play in the sportslink in Santry. Agree with comments above. R ball is the job. Anyone interested in a game. I am a decent standard. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Does anyone have any info on the club in Garristown?

Not too far away from me and I would love to start back up at the game!

I used to play it in Na Fianna in Glasnevin for years and I really miss it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

There's also a court in Ballyfermot, its open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

There is a free and open hand-ball/racquet-ball alley in Green Street right beside the Central Criminal Court. It's beside a playground and is fairly busy with local kids, so you've got to be nice to them otherwise they'll run off with any balls that you hit out of the court. Racquet-ball isn't played much, so some do tend to watch. We've found that they're only too happy to run after the balls and throw them back to you if you're decent to them.

It's a good, fairly clean, outdoor court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Have to agree that racquetball is the biz - unfortunately most facilities require some membership fees, There is/was a court in Goatstown which was owned privately but I am not sure if its still there. The handball court in Croke Park, I was told by a guy some time ago permitted racquetball but again membership is required. Not so sure they allow racquetball but it could be worth a try.
    For anyone interested in competitive racquetball, the Racquetball Association of Ireland run tournaments up and down the country from October to May. All tournaments have a Novice event for new players. Players can enter 2 competitions so a minimum of 2 matches are offered to players entering.
    Racquetball Association of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RandyRob

There's also a court in Ballyfermot, its open to the public.

The court in Ballyfermot in on Gurteen Road, which is near the Garda Station. Its in a place called the BLCO (Ballyfermot Leisure Co-Op). If asking for directions ensure to ask for the gym near the garda station because.....There is a BIG gym on Le Fanu Road which you will most certainly be drawn to if you don't know where you're going.

The court itself is clean, with sprung wooden floor and air conditioning from what I remember. There are changing/shower facilities in the BLCO too. There is a sports bar (with sound proof glass) overlooking the court so you may have the odd cheering/heckling spectator but its all good because you won't be able to hear him/her. The court itself is in a quiet corner of the centre with few/no passers by which is good.

The BLCO itself has 1 raquetball/handball court, 2 squash courts, gym, indoor football court, basketball court, badminton, boules and sports bar.

Phone number: (01) 626-9213

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IgnatiusJ.R.

Hi,

I play in UCD about twice a week. (I also play down in Arklow when I can get down).The guy I play with in Dublin quit on me last night, so I'm looking to for someone else to play at least once a week....

Anyone up for a game in Dublin on Monday or Tuesday nights (or whatever suits)?

I'm freaking out at the prospect of not being able to play regularly and having to drive to Arklow to get a decent game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RCan

I'm looking for an opponent(s) to play Racquetball once or twice a week in Dublin. I know of two public courts, one in Ballyfermot & one in Cabra. Both are pretty accessible for me. Haven't played in a long time but would be great to get back into it.

It would be great to get a few people and get a small league and some healthy competition going. I suppose walking before running... some one opponent would be good!

give me a mail rickycannon@yahoo.co.uk if itnerested.

Cheers

Ricky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 josephs

Hi,

I play in UCD about twice a week. (I also play down in Arklow when I can get down).The guy I play with in Dublin quit on me last night, so I'm looking to for someone else to play at least once a week....

Anyone up for a game in Dublin on Monday or Tuesday nights (or whatever suits)?

I'm freaking out at the prospect of not being able to play regularly and having to drive to Arklow to get a decent game...
    Hi

I would definitely be up for a game(s) at UCD, as long as I don't have to join the gym there, already have a gym. My email address is dkjosephs@gmail.com, if you are interested.

Cheers
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Montano

Hi my name is carlos i would like play raquetball one o two times a week, please if somebody want play please send me a txt to my number 0894769166 we can arrange thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Please read the charter. No resurrecting old threads. Start a new one.

Also, no phone numbers.

/locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement